RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

More on discoloration....

Old 09-22-2003, 09:27 PM

Thanks, Flora, all this info is really great!

Seems I'd need to start back with the original however to try again to match your color on the faces... I tried to do a selective color adjustment layer, tweaking just the reds and yellows with the values you specified starting out from my last version and of course that didn't work... The faces came out way too pink...

How did you find the values you selected? Is is just trial and error, what looks good?

Thank you so much for all your help!
Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jared-wedding-9-22 darker.jpg (61.8 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2003, 09:29 AM

Is there a way to darken the tone of faces a bit starting from the image in my last post? I am hoping not to have to go back to square one...

Thanks for any more help on this,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2003, 11:29 AM

I managed to darken the tone of the faces a bit, although sometimes it is better to go back to step one and start over...

1. Select Luminosity (Ctrl [or Cmd] + Alt + ~). Feather selection by two pixels. Copy to new layer (Ctrl [or Cmd] + J).
2. Set Blending mode of the new layer to Multiply.
3. Add a Hide All mask to the new layer. Paint in over just the faces.
4. I repeated these steps again but masked to show just his face and at 10% opacity to get his face a little darker.
5. Add a Color Balance layer to give slightly more Red and slightly more Yellow. Add a Hide All mask to this layer. Paint in over his face and (very lightly, just a little) over hers.

It's not as good as what Flora managed to do starting from the original, but it may be close to what you want?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jared-wedding-9-22-darker-c.jpg (77.9 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2003, 03:54 PM

Flora
I must commend you on your efforts! you really do know your stuff. I have seen a lot of your replies on other forums & you really do put in a lot of effort to help people with your examples & step by step instructions. I must say, i tried this one myself but just couldn't even come close to your results. Well done! A true PS Pro!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2003, 04:50 PM

How to increase tone?

Flora, Flora, Flora,

Oh how did you ever get such a great result?? I remain baffled, though I have gotten the tones on my image a bit darker

So I went back and did try to start from the original I posted and retrace your steps. Where I got stuck again was at your step 3 with the 1st Luminosity Mask.

From the RP tutorial on Luminosity Masks it says the steps to create a Luminosity Mask are:
1. Load the Luminosity Mask by pressing ctrl-alt-~ (Windows) or opt-comand-~ (Mac);
2. Save the selection under the Select Menu;
3. Name the new channel under Channels
4. Open the channels palette, and click on the LM.
5. Set the foreground color
6. Click on the new layer icon and make a new layer
7. Under Edit, fill, select use foreground color, opacity 100%, mode Normal, click Ok.
(See rest of tutorial for remaining steps)

So I'd really love to know what you selected for the foreground color in step 5 above? Or when you did your 1st Luminosity Mask, did you follow different steps after step 4 above?

After you copied the LM to its own layer, were there any other steps before you went on and created a Curves Adjustment Layer?

All the best,
Diane

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 10:15 AM

Paulie,

Thank you very much for your feedback and great comment ....

Diane,

"So I went back and did try to start from the original I posted and retrace your steps. Where I got stuck again was at your step 3 with the 1st Luminosity Mask..."

...Now I understand what happened.... When I pointed out the RP Tutorial on Luminosity Mask which describes very well what it is and how to create it, I didn't think of telling you to ignore the "Sepia Toning" Points of that tutorial since they went on to explain how to use the newly created Luminosity Mask to achieve a more interesting Sepia Toning in a picture .... You were right to be confused ...

What I did for your picture was very simple:

1) Loaded the Luminosity Mask by pressing CTRL+alt+~ (Windows) or Cmd+Option+~ (Mac) and Feathered it (Radius= 2 Pixels)

2) Copied it on its own Layer CTRL+J (Windows) or Cmd+J (Mac)

3) Changed the Blending of the new 'Luminosity Layer' to Multiply (leaving the Opacity at 100%).

That's all I needed to do with it to increase the image Tone ...

"After you copied the LM to its own layer, were there any other steps before you went on and created a Curves Adjustment Layer?"

No... After the 3 steps described above, to further increase the Tone, with the Luminosity Layer still active I created immediately the 'Curves Adjustment Layer' which got me to the point of 'OK Tone and Cosistency, but 'Muddy Colour' ... No need for the 2° Luminosity Mask .... just continue with the Selective Color Adjustment Layer (Attachment on my previous post).

I'm posting an attachment with snapshots of all these steps .... I had to compress it very strongly because of the 100KB limit ...should something be still unclear....you know where to find me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luminosity.jpg (97.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Flora; 09-24-2003 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 11:03 PM

I GOT IT!

Flora,

A million thanks for all your help and for taking the time to take pictures of the steps and write a tutorial! It was extremely clear and helpful!!! This time I was able to follow everything and come out with something close to yours... And now it's starting to not seem all that hard! But with the Selective color adjustment, how did you know what values to use when adjusting the reds and yellows? Is it just experimentation? How did you take those snapshots of the steps??

I did have to start back with the original to recapture the shine and highlights of the faces. But then I finally succeeded in cloning the re-done faces onto the last version of my picture to avoid having to re-do all the other work... This was no easy feat as the proportions of the two did not match... But, finally, it is done!!!!!!

I am very, very grateful that you responded to all my posts. I don't know how I would have figured this out without your help and it was for an important test assignment...

All the best,
Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp-jared-wedding-9-24.jpg (46.6 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2003, 10:25 AM

Diane,

I'm so glad I could help you and your ...

"I GOT IT!"

....made me really very happy!!!!

You really did a marvellous job on your restoration!!!!

"...with the Selective color adjustment, how did you know what values to use when adjusting the reds and yellows? Is it just experimentation?"

Yes .... it is simply a matter of sperimentation

..."How did you take those snapshots of the steps??

I use a program which came bundled with the software of my scanner ... it's called 'Corel Capture 9' ... but I'm sure that there are a lot of them just as good or even better....
In windows you can take snapshots of the whole Desktop by simply pressing the 'Print Screen' button.. or of the active window only, by pressing 'Alt + Print Screen' .... and then pasting your 'clipboard' on any graphic program (Photoshop,MSPaint ... etc.)

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help