RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

More on discoloration....

Old 09-18-2003, 02:09 PM

More on discoloration....

Here is another photo with a discoloration problem that I am still rather stuck with at the moment. This is about the best I've gotten it, but the man's face still seems too pink too me and the color balance sliders don't seem to be getting me anywhere. Do others agree? Any suggestions? I'll post the orginal next.

I've already replaced the blue channel, and did a curves adjustment on the man's face and whitened the wedding dress with curves, etc. etc.

Thanks for any help on this,
Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jared-wedding-9-10.jpg (66.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by dipech; 09-18-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 02:15 PM

Here is most of the original. (it is actually 11x14 in full)

The red spots were easily cleaned up by quick-masking them, and then using the dust and scratches filter under "noise."

Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jared-orig-1.jpg (71.4 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2003, 05:05 PM

Diane,

This is what I did (in outline)

1. Converted to CMYK (I find this easier when trying to correct skintones)
2. Used Curves layer to adjust for skintones (basically, a bit more magenta and a bit less yellow)
3. This had left the white dress and shirt a bit the wrong color. Added another Curves layer and used the eyedropper to set the highlights on the dress to "white" (R/G/B 243/243/243). Then added a Hide All layer mask to this curves layer and brushed it back in on the mask in the dress/veil/shirt areas.
4. There were still some uneven color patches on the dress. As an easy fix, added a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and reduced the saturation. Then added a Hide All layer mask to this layer and brushed it back in on the mask where needed.
5. To give more "oomph" and contrast to the image, added a Levels layer (not touching any of the settings) and set it to Multiply blend mode at about 38% opacity.
6. Copied the flowers to a new layer, boosted the Hue/Saturation of that layer and set its Blend Mode to Color (if I had another source of info about the color of the flowers I would have been inclined just to paint them in on a color layer as when colorizing).
7. Created a new Hue/Saturation adjustment layer boosting saturation by about 5% and gave it a mask to only apply to the parts of the image other than the dress/veil/shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jared-orig-1-copy.jpg (94.0 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2003, 03:56 AM

Diane, Leah,

Like you, I found the colours (discoloration and overall colouring) of this picture to be its biggest problem.

Here is what I did with this picture:

1) To fade the yellowish cast on the bride's dress, curtain etc., I created a new empty Layer (Blending set to Color) on top of the background and, with a fuzzy Brush set to Color (Opacity 30 -60%), I used the technique (aimed to colour spots, but which worked wonders also in this case), described in this wonderful tip from Tyeise

"....So what I have been doing lately, is selecting the color of the object I am working on, and then using color to target to change the color of the spots to the color of the area around them. By changing just the color, I don't need to be as concerned about moving over changing lightness and shadows. If the spots also effect the lightness/darkness a bit, I can then go back and correct those areas as well afterwards. But just taking care of the color corrects a major portion of the problem, without effecting the noise, the texture, etc. Think of it partially as colorizing an already colored image."

2) I created a Curves Adjustment Layer to lift a bit the shadows and increase the midtones on the groom's jacket.

3) To increase the tone, I created a Luminosity Mask (CTRL+ALT+~ , Feather Radius = 2 Pixels), (CTRL + J) copied it on its own Layer (Blending = Multiply, Opacity = 100%).

4) To reveal more details (even more tone), I created a Curves Adjustment Layer to decrease the Shadows and increase the Midtones.

5) Merged Visible.

6) The tone was now OK, but the colour was kind of 'muddy' so, I created a second Luminosity Mask (CTRL+ALT+~ , Feather Radius = 2 Pixels), (CTRL + J) copied it on its own Layer (Blending = Normal, Opacity = 100%) and, after pressing the ~ Key to view the full colour preview, I used the Levels on each separate Channel until I was satisfied with the colours.

7) I used the Blur Tool to 'clean' parts of the picture.

8) To brighten up the bride's dress, I created a new empty Layer (blending = Soft Light) and with a soft White Brush (Opacity 5-20%), I painted over the still darker areas.

9) I used the Custom Filter to slightly sharpen the couple only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f_jared-orig-1.jpg (99.2 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Flora; 09-19-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2003, 03:50 PM

Hi Leah & Flora,

Thanks very much for your input on this!

Flora, I wasn't able to figure out your 3rd step re the Luminosity Mask. I even checked a few of my books and there was no mention of it there either. I use a Mac and when I press Control, alt, ~, I don't get anywhere.

I am still struggling with getting the skin tones right. The man and women's tones are very different and I'm trying not to have to go back and start again on the orginal and have to redo all the other work.. Any suggestions how to get the skin tones a bit better from here???

I have been quick masking just each face and then using a Curves adjustment layer in cmyk mode and trying to tweak each color, but it's still just not coming out quite right, esp on the woman

Last edited by dipech; 09-21-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2003, 05:11 PM

Diane,

Unfortunately, when trying to open any of the last two pictures you posted, I get this message:

The image “http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...&postid=60040” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

As for the 'Luminosity Mask' you can find a tutorial right here at RP or, if I remember right, I read about it in Katrin Eismann's book .... The keys to press on a Mac are ( Cmd + Option + ~ )

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2003, 08:09 PM

Hi Flora,

I'll check out the tutorial; thanks very much for the info.

I'm trying to repost my last image...

All the best,
Diane

Last edited by dipech; 09-21-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2003, 01:17 PM

Hi Diane,

It must be my computer, my browsers (IE6 or Netscape 7.1), the gremlins ... or just me.... But I still can't download any of your posted pictures .... after my submission ...

I do hope the 'luminosity mask' worked for you .... I use it quite often and find it very useful!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2003, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flora

3) To increase the tone, I created a Luminosity Mask (CTRL+ALT+~ , Feather Radius = 2 Pixels), (CTRL + J) copied it on its own Layer (Blending = Multiply, Opacity = 100%).

4) To reveal more details (even more tone), I created a Curves Adjustment Layer to decrease the Shadows and increase the Midtones.

5) Merged Visible.

6) The tone was now OK, but the colour was kind of 'muddy' so, I created a second Luminosity Mask (CTRL+ALT+~ , Feather Radius = 2 Pixels), (CTRL + J) copied it on its own Layer (Blending = Normal, Opacity = 100%) and, after pressing the ~ Key to view the full colour preview, I used the Levels on each separate Channel until I was satisfied with the colours.

. [/B]
Flora,

Well I did the Luminosity Mask a few times, but I still can't quite figure out how you got the man and woman's skin tones so great.

To increase the tone, did you use a particular RGB formula/color for that skin tone?

With the Luminosity Mask, is there a way to have it only select a particular item in a picture, in this case just the man? When I did it, it selected lots of things in the picture that I didn't want included.

I'm not quite sure how to "decrease the shadows and increase the midtones with curves. Is this how you got rid of the shine on the man's forehead, etc? Can you explain this part any further or maybe I can find a good explanation in one of my books.

I also tried an alternative method to try to fix the skin tone:

I quick-masked just the man's face, pre-selected a color for the skin tone, and then used the fill tool in color mode/mulitpy? at various opacities.
But then there is the "muddy" skin tone problem to still take care of. I am wondering if this accomplishes about the same as the way more complicated Luminosity Mask procedure?

So here is my latest effort. It seems that the color on the two faces has to be quite close or the picture doesn't look right

Any other suggestions?

Diane

Last edited by dipech; 09-22-2003 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 AM

Diane,

Wow .... you really did a wonderful job on your picture!

As for your questions:

Well I did the Luminosity Mask a few times, but I still can't quite figure out how you got the man and woman's skin tones so great.

Sorry, sorry ....my fault... I completely forgot a passage ...After creating the second 'Luminosity Mask' and the Curves Adjustment Layer, still working on the Luminosity Mask only, I created a Selective Colors Adjustment Layer where I tweaked the Reds and Jellows only ... (see attachment for the values)

To increase the tone, did you use a particular RGB formula/color for that skin tone?

No, to increase the tone/contrast (not touching the colour yet!), I created a Luminosity Mask (CTRL+ALT+~ , Feather Radius = 2 Pixels), (CTRL + J) copied it on its own Layer (Blending = Multiply, Opacity = 100%). (Step 3 of my description)

To reveal more details (even more tone), I created a Curves Adjustment Layer to decrease the Shadows and increase the Midtones. ((Step 4 of my description).

With the Luminosity Mask, is there a way to have it only select a particular item in a picture, in this case just the man? When I did it, it selected lots of things in the picture that I didn't want included.

Yes, there is ...
1) You could loosely select that particular part of the image "in this case just the man" (CTRL + J, Mac CMD + J) copy it on its own Layer, and create the Mask on this new partial Layer...
2) ...Or you could create a Luminosity Mask of the whole Layer (as you have done), (CTRL + J, Mac CMD + J) copy it on its own Layer, create a Layer Mask of this new Layer and with a Black Brush paint on the Layer Mask to hide what you didn't want to be touched by your correction.

I'm not quite sure how to "decrease the shadows and increase the midtones with curves...

You can find a snapshot of the Curves which I used for other pictures here

Is this how you got rid of the shine on the man's forehead, etc? Can you explain this part any further or maybe I can find a good explanation in one of my books.

There are many ways to do this ... and surely you'll find very good tips...What I did was create a new Empty Layer (Blending = Normal) on top of all the others, sampled colour from an area very close to the 'shiny spots', and with a fuzzy (color) Airbrush (Opacity 5-20%) I gently covered the spots.(see attachment).

Any other suggestions?

If the corrections result too drastic, you can always blur the 'offending' Layer and add a bit of noise to it to blend it smoothly with the rest of the image ....
...and I usually 'play with the Layer's Blending and Opacity until I get the results I like...

P.S. I hope you can see the difference in the attachment .... the strong compression makes you lose a lot of details ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jared.jpg (99.3 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help