RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Faint Facial Features

Old 09-22-2003, 03:43 AM

Hi TylerCruz,

Just went to see what you did with this very difficult picture ... I think you did a wonderful job!!

Here are the steps I took with your picture:

Tonal Adjustment:
1) Duplicate Layer (Blending = Color Burn, Opacity 20%)
2) Duplicate the new Layer (change Blending to Multiply, Opacity 20%)
3) Curves (you can find a snapshot of the curves which I used on another picture here)
4) Merge Visible (To merge visible without losing any correction Layer, keeping the 'Alt' key pressed, click on 'Merge Visible' in the Layer Palette).

Noise:
1) Duplicate Layer.
2) Dust&Scratches (increase Radius until most of the noise has disappeared, increase Treshold to get some of the details back)
3) Add a Layer Mask(Hide All)and with a Black Eraser, erase on the mask the parts you want to reveal...(careful not to lose too many details around eyes, nose and mouth ...). Adjust Layer Opacity...I try to avoid the over smooth 'plastic look.
4) For smaller areas: Blur Tool (choose the appropriate Mode, Opacity = 20 -80%)

Enhancing Features:
What I usually do is create new empty Layer upon new empty Layer playing with Blendings and Opacity until I get the result I like. For your picture, I did the following:

Eyes:
1) Create a new empty Layer (Blending = Luminosity, Opacity 100%), and with a fuzzy Black Brush (Opacity 5%)paint over eyebrows, eyelids, and lashes line to increase depht. Decreasing the Brush diameter carefully paint a very thin line around the irises border.
2) Create a new empty Layer(Blending = Overlay, Opacity 100%)and with a fuzzy White Brush (Opacity 5%)paint or increase the catchlights to give the eyes a more realistic look. Change the colour of the Brush to Black and paint around the catchlights to increase the depth of the pupil.

Mouth, Nose and Cheeks:
1) Create a new empty Layers (Blending = Normal, Overlay, Soft Light, Screen or Color Opacity (?))and with a fuzzy either Black or White Brush (Opacity 5-60%), paint over the features to either increase depth or enhance highlights to give a 3D feeling to the face.

If the corrections result too drastic, you can always blur the 'offending' Layer and add a bit of noise to it to blend it smoothly with the rest of the image ....

Background:
When changing Background, I tend to use a soft Radial Gradient (keeping the colours as close as possible to the original to minimize transition problems), instead of a flat one colour which I, personally, don't like ....
1) To soften the blending with the new Background in your picture I selected the soldier, contracted the selection of 1 Pixel, made a 15 Pixels Border, (CTRL+J)copied it onto its own Layer (Opacity(?)), used the Gaussian Blur Filter to soften it and added a bit of noise to blend it in.

P.S.After Margaret rightly pointed out the 'cropped ear', I tried to reconstruct it ... ...

Goldcoin,

I think you did a very nice job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f_darren1.jpg (98.3 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Flora; 09-22-2003 at 03:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2003, 11:43 AM

LOL - Who is this "Flora"? This Goddess of Restoration.. she mocks us unknowingly with her skills lol

Thanks a lot for that information, Flora - it will proove very useful - I will try it right after I get my car fixed today.

You also fixed the ear! Mike Tyson loses this round!

You are crazy good though.. it's actually kind of humbling

Thanks again..

P.S. - Once I take your tips and work with the image, I will show you the ORIGINAL!! You might like it - because it's horrible, it's ripped, stained, etc.. so the "real" before and the after wlil be dramatic..

This is something that might be a neat idea - get 1 restorator to do half the job, and another to do the other one with 'fresh' eyes.. because the second person will think the half done one is the original, and do a 'full' restoration upon that... do you understand? I'm kind of rambling but when you see the original you might understand..

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2003, 01:35 PM

Hi Flora,

I followed most of your steps, and I must say that it improved it by a lot! The most useful thing I learned/followed was improving the eyes! Wow!

Here's a Before and After of what I did:

http://www.movie-vault.com/ba_darren.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2003, 02:56 AM

TylerCruz,

"LOL - Who is this "Flora"? This Goddess of Restoration.. she mocks us unknowingly with her skills lol"

Well, TylerCruz ... this "Flora" is no Goddess of Restoration or of anything else ... just someone saddened if her passion for her hobby and desire to help can make some people think that "she mocks us unknowingly with her skills lol" or that "it's actually kind of humbling" ....

I take your "us" to be a form of royal «We» since I can't remember anyone feeling 'mocked' by somebody else's skills before...not here, not anywhere.

I simply took you at your word when you wrote:

"also,please suggest any suggestions on other thing to improve, and how to
improve it.. feel free to try your knack at the image too! Thanks"

...and again ...

"Yes, PLEASE _do_ share in more detail how you achieved that!"

I thank you for your kind comment:

"I've seen your other work and posts here which prooves you have special skill."

...which, in my opinion, is in strong contrast with the implication you made later:

"This is something that might be a neat idea - get 1 restorator to do half the job, and another to do the other one with 'fresh' eyes.. because the second person will think the half done one is the original, and do a 'full' restoration upon that... do you understand?"...

...and what to say about your...

"You are crazy good though.."

well ... TylerCruz ... NO! I'm not crazy .... YES! I'm good at what I do ....

And for the sake of fairness here is my "real" before and after....

P.S. I didn't restore the very bottom part of the image and the right corner on purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f_darren2.jpg (99.8 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2003, 03:31 AM

That's crazy.. you are the best restorer I've seen.. and I've seen hundreds..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2003, 08:08 PM

Flora,
I'm going to side with Tyler. You're AWESOME! I've only recently joined this forum and so have had the interesting option of reading your posts all at once. They're very impressive and very informative.

I'm relatively new and have only been dabbling in restoration for the past year. My work is quite shoddy in comparison of yours: Van Gogh or Rembrandt versus 4 year old with crayons!

I'm learning much faster in the last month after joining both this forum and the Adobe forum. With expertise such as yours, my learning rate will more than double. (I'm on a mission for my mother: she found a relative with glass slides that are about 100 years old and wants me to scan them in, fix them, and then provide the results back to her.) I need to be reasonably good at doing the restoration work by next May, and so have been reading the books by Katrinn Eisman and Richard Lynch (as I currently use PS Elements). But your work is easily on par with theirs and can give more specific examples.

Richard
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help