Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to repair skin on one of the worst pics you may ever see?

Old 10-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by roger_ele

Front of the face is still flat, needs highlights off of the highest spots (closest to you); tip of the nose, forhead, cheeks, chin, bridge of the nose. Then a little lighter at the top (closest to you) for the rounded stuff surounding the highlights.

Hi Roger,

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement and the tip above as to what to highlight. It's easy to get very discouraged when working on something like this... I was a little confused by the second sentence above; I'm not quite sure what is the rounded stuff surrounding the highlights?

Best Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi Diane,

I'm not quite sure what is the rounded stuff surrounding the highlights?

Put a flashlight on a ball or any other curved object with some reflectivity. Starting from the reflection of the light (the highlight) working out you then have the very lightest areas with detail (rounded stuff around the highlights) and then it gradually gets darker, the further around the curve the darker it gets (this is the shading that communicates shape).

So first we decide where the highlights go (which spots would directly reflect the light. Then the lightest areas around those highlights would be where the shape of the face is almost on the same plane as the highlight (the cheek and forhead would have a much larger area of lightest skin around the highlights than the nose ...

what I am trying to do is examine why curved objects (like faces) respond to light with highlights and shading the way they do, so that we can work backwards with 'I want to cummunicate this shape so what shading would communicate that shape' kind of thinking.

Welcome to my mind ... it is ok to come up for air
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Smile Hello

This is my first post to the forum and I liked the original picture so I thought I would give it a shot. Basically, I used a lot of the suggestions already posted and went for a 'painted' look to solve the problem of the mottled skin. I hope you like it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Here's a pretty good time saving idea. Run the image thru Neat Image. I sampled "her" left cheek and ignored that the area was too small.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig-woman-rp duv.jpg (99.1 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help