Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Blue-atmospheric haze

Old 10-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Here is my take. Unfortunately the colors never look the same on web because my Photoshop is configured for newsprint output, and as soon as I view the file in another program it looks awful.

edit: done w/ 3 adjustment layers
1 for the whole pic minus some of the foreground bushes. This one was just to set the black and white points of the image.
1 for everything minus the sky. To punch up color and brightness (which suffered after setting the black point).
1 for the sky only, to make it "match" the rest of the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canyon1.jpg (36.5 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2003, 03:01 AM

Tom, read and play with the above words of wisdom in the Dan Margulis PDF - it is all there in the theory of how to evaluate and correct.

It should not matter about varied colour castes. If each image can have global levels or curves applied which set neutral white/black/grey points in the image - then you are off to a good start (presuming the image has these target points). Memory colours are a bit harder, but there are some easy rules (blue sky, green grass, skintones etc).

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2003, 10:37 AM

After reading the Dan Margulis article, I am reminded of "the devil is in the details."

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Here's my take. I didn't do any heavy lifting and I used photoshop elements.

I was on a "gradient map" kick, so I found a brownish gradient and applied that. Then I used the gradient tool with a simple black-white gradient on the sky portion of the mask in the gradient map layer.

Next I did a levels adjustment layer but everything was looking pretty washed out, so I added a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and once again used the gradient tool to mask the sky area.

My effort won't win any awards, but it would meet my needs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluish.jpg (73.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2003, 10:14 AM

That's a gorgeous photograph.

I'm sorry, I dont have the exact numbers, but basically this is what I tried:

- I added a levels adjustment layer and moved the shadows lever to the right to add some depth. I then forced some more brightness even though the historogram didnt indicated a need for it by moving the brightness lever to the right. I then tweaked it a bit using the midtones lever.

- This still left a bluish tone to the photo, so I measured using info palette and the eyedropper and adjusted the colors indicated there in the highlights and midtones.

_ The sky then looked a bit too yellow so I went into the layer mask in the above mentioned color adjustment layer and made a soft edged selection of the sky and filled it with black to remove the color adjustment from it.

- With the selection of the sky still active, I used color balance from the Image menu/adjustments to tweak the sky a bit. It is still a bit off to me, and if I had time I would really mess with it more.

Hope that is even a bit helpful!

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2003, 10:19 AM

Sorry... I am new to posting here and when the first one I tried to post was too large I didnt re-browse to find the smaller one when I reposted! So here it is

Attached Images
File Type: jpg panorama.jpg (93.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2003, 07:47 AM
Thanks again for all of your help. I'll try out each idea and see if I can make them work for me. It's great to have this assistance available to us neophytes. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help