RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

More Color Pictures

Old 10-20-2003, 12:32 AM

Thanks for that link Vikki. I was looking for a tutorial and couldn't find it!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 AM

Jeanie,
I do use layers, as stated above,someof these pictures were taken in the 1800's and it is hard to find the object. As with my first post everthing is about the same color. I dont under stand how colorizing would help. As shown by " mead's " posted reply.
I hope to find a way to repair these bad pictures faster or at least a way to find the edges of these objects, that said I will look at your colorizing link.
Peace,
Vernon
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2003, 10:33 AM

Hi Vernon,

Sorry about not remembering your first post. I replied without rereading everything - I'm just trying to do too many things at once.

OK, when colorizing an old photo, the first step is to restore it - THEN colorize it. You should not have to copy every piece to a new layer to restore. That's not to say you won't use layers in the restoration process, just that you don't need to have separate parts of the photo on separate layers to restore. Specifically for this photo, I would start by duplicating the background layer and setting the blending mode to multiply. Then using a layer mask to remove from areas that don't need help - and adjusting the opacity. That will help build up the faded areas and hopefully make it easier to find the object.

Once you've got a good B&W image, then you can start colorizing. I use a separate layer for each color (set to either soft light or color blending mode) and a layer mask to color only the parts of the image I want to be that color. The layer masks are useful because if I find that I need to adjust the "seams between color", I only need to adjust the layer masks. The link that Vikki provided is a good one with a different technique, so I'd recommend looking at that as well.

OK, gotta run. I'll be back later tonight. Does that help or just confuse the issue?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2003, 09:28 PM

Jeanie,
I can understand what you are saying, but I have never found that it would work for me, on a picture like this. Is there a chance that someone could try to correct this picture. I have just started another similiar picture that I could load before showing my results, if that would be better?
Peace,
Vernon
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2003, 09:42 PM

Vernon,

If you've just started to work on the photo, yes, it might be good to upload it and see what others can come up with (and of course share the process used.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2003, 02:10 PM

Vernon
I played with colorizing some time ago. you were saying you wanted it to look real... well I did too.. But well that talented I'm not.... this was as close as I came and it was so long ago that details of how I did it are vague.

I did use a few layers.... a natural blue sky layer behind to erase to.. as well as the beautiful girl whom I cut out a clone of... (duplicate layer with all else erased).This allowed me to more easily paint behind her.

I did the B&W restoration first for sure then just set back with your paint brush set on "color" and have at it.....

since then someone suggested using a photo with the desired colors as a pallet.... for sure i'd try that next time...

RonDon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bna 5 inch wide.jpg (93.7 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2003, 02:57 PM

Thank you for your help.
Vernon
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help