RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help

Old 10-24-2003, 08:36 PM

The "cut" is where the problem is. You need to leave the original layer intact. Add a new transparent layer, set it's blend mode to color, and paint your color on that layer. You can still add additional layers for all the different items, but you don't need to have the actual item on the layer.
If you color over an area by mistake, you can use the eraser tool to clean it up. If you make a big mistake you can erase the whole layer a make a new one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2003, 09:41 PM

Vikki,
I have no idea what you just said. Looks like I will have to do some reading in the links you have sent me. What did you think of my work on your picture?
Peace
Vernon
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2003, 09:55 PM

Vernon,
I think you'll find Katrin's book enlightening.

Sorry my last post didn't help you out. Perhaps once you have a look a the book it will make more sense. I can't think of another way to explain.

The coloring on you did on my picture looks much more realistic. Not sure what else you did, looks like some painterly type of filter effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2003, 10:55 PM

Vikki,
I started with the orignal. used variations to gold tone it. I have forgotten to tell you that I use AutoEye to sharpen. Then I started cutting ( dont yell ). The hat, skin, eye balls, eye iris, eye pupils, dress. I think thats all. Used variations on everthing except the skin ( left that alone ). Forgot about the buttons, cut one out with a circle cutter, filled it in where needed and copied 2 more. Oh ya , I also cut the hair. And a couple times had to use hue/saturation; brightness/contrass.
Then merged the cuts and put backround in behind to hid the cut marks. This my normal way. Except it would go to my wife, if it need an artistic touch. But didn't do that. No painting and no filters.
This picture had alot of detail to work with, not so with some of the pictures I am doing of my wife's relatives. Let me know if you want a more detailed accound of what I do. Do you think your picture can be made to look like it was taken yesterday?
Peace
Vernon
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Janitor

While I admire ambition, I'm concerned your goal of "taken yesterday" might be unrealistic. Even if the photo were literally "taken yesterday" it wouldn't look like it by today's standards. You can't create resolution and tone where it doesn't exist.

Perhaps a more attainable goal might be "undamaged".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2003, 06:17 AM

Vernon,
Again, you're putting too much work on yourself.
I used four layers and it took me about a half hour to color it. I didn't make any "cuts" or selections.
I'm not sure which one of your techniques did it, but it looks like the Photoshop filter "Paint Daubs" was used on the image. Maybe I'm biased, but I prefer my version.

You're killing me with this: "Do you think your picture can be made to look like it was taken yesterday?
Doug has a good point. Most of the time, all you can hope for is a good restoration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2003, 07:45 AM

Good morning Vikki,
No filters, don't know paint duabs, would I have to download it. I would like to do the work faster, but I am willing to spend any amount time to get the bast results. We are redoing pictures that we did 2 years ago, becuuse, we think we can do them better now.
Don't die Vikki, people have asked what am I trying to acomplish, now you are one of the lucky ones to know. Actually I have just made that goal up. But it is my goal, that is where I am TRYING to go. As apposed to maintening the basic picture.
Does what Doug said make since to you," if the picture was taken yesterday, it would not look like it by todays standards. I guess if that is true, I will accepy yesterdays standards. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get them.
Stick with me kid. I still have to read Kathrins book( I have it in my favorites). AutoEye is the only thing you might not be fimiliar with, I bought the program. It may have created the affect you are talking about.
Peace
Vernon
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 09:16 AM

Maybe this tutorial will be of some help:
Layers
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 11:42 AM

Colorizing black & Whites

Hi Vernon,

I've been reading this tract and I don't know what you're
trying to achieve.If you are trying to colorize a black and
white photo are you trying to turn it into a painting?From the
various pictures you have placed on here it seems that way.
f your trying to colorize to make the black and white seem
more natural then I would believe that you're going about it
in the wrong way.
I am brand new to this art and through some excellent
resources have managed to colorize many black and whites
to make them appear natural.You must use a subtle approach
to the color.colors that are to intense look like a painting
and are very plastic looking.I noticed on one of your posts
that you have cropped out different parts of a picture.Are you
cropping out each part and trying to place them back together
as a whole?I din't believe that would make a picture look
natural.
I am placing a link to a tutorial on colorizing.There is a video
on the link but you must have a quicktime player to view it.
It will definitely show you how colorizing is done with layers.
Of course there are many ways to colorize and each person
has their ownbag of tools that are used.
As Vicki stated,I would urge you to purchase Katrin Eisan's
Book.I am waiting for my copy in the mail.

Colorizing Tutorial -

Color Black and White

Joseph
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 12:29 PM

Vikki,
I think I may have found some help on Katrin's site. Ill have to look into it further, maybe buy a book or 2. The page I looked at was designed to restore and colorize. Had good examples, one inparticular that took the guy a month to finish and many many many separate layers. If I learn anything youll be the first to know. Thanks for steering me there, Katrin definetly belives in restoring to mordern color levels.
Peace,
Vernon
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help