Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

my Dad

Old 11-08-2003, 07:39 AM
thank you

Thanks so's just what it needed. Your amazing.
Thanks for so willingly sharing your talent.
You really brought out the facial features without making it look fake or as they say, photoshoped.
I don't have any pics of my Dad at this age, it means alot to me.
You made my family very happy.
Your truley gifted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2003, 07:42 AM

I had read your tutorial but I don't have curves. I'm using elements. Is there any way to achieve similar results using elements?

Also, would love to know the details of how you did this, as would others, I'm sure.

Thanks again, kat
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Flora, Simply beautiful.
I'm going to try your technique (looked at tutorial) on a photo I submitted to this forum called "Reviving a WWII treasure" If you have a moment would you look at it and see if you think this would be a good approach. I was disappointed in my results but couldn't put my finger on why. Now I think the face is too blah and this approach will make it have depth and look real.
Thanks for all your input. Joyce
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2003, 04:51 AM

Thank you so much for your great comment!

Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm so glad you liked my restoration of your picture.
Unfortunately, I don't have 'Elements' so I'm at loss to give you an alternative to the Curves...but, if with Elements you can create a 'Luminosity Mask', the problem is solved.
In the following explanation, I will describe both ways: with and without Curves.

Tonal Enhancement

1) After duplicating and cropping the image I created a 'Luminosity Mask' (as described in the Tutorial)
a) press Ctrl+Alt+~ (Mac = Cmd+Option+~) to create a Luminosity Mask,
b) feather your selection by pressing Ctrl+Alt+D (Mac = Cmd+Option+D), enter the desired value (I usually go for 2-4 Pixels Radius),
c) press Ctrl+J (Mac = Cmd+J) to copy your selection on its own Layer,
d) set the blending to 'Multiply.

2) With Curves.....Create a new 'Curves Adjustment Layer' as shown in the Tutorial.

3)... Without Curves.....Duplicate your 'Luminosity Mask' Layer (Blending = Multiply), and desaturate the new Layer by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U ....

Don't worry if after these procedures the image looks darker and 'muddier' ... it will get more vibrant later ... the important is that the details are more visible now.

1) Healing Brush, Clone Tool, Blur Tool.

Enhancing Features

This is actually what I like most ... playing with lights and shadows until what looked rather 'flat' starts 'coming alive' ... In a face I usually start with the eyes ... if the eyes look 'alive' and 'real', most of the work is done .... as they will be the drawing point of any image.

1) What I usually do is work on new empty Layer upon new empty Layer playing with Blendings and Opacity until I get the result I like.

1) Create a new empty Layer (Blending = Overlay, Opacity = to be adjusted), and with a fuzzy Black Brush (Opacity 5-10%)paint over eyebrows, eyelids, and lashes line to increase depht. Decreasing the Brush diameter carefully paint a very thin line around the irises border.
2) Create a new empty Layer(Blending = Overlay, Opacity = to be adjusted)and with a fuzzy White Brush (Opacity 5%)paint or increase the catchlights to give the eyes a more realistic look. Change the colour of the Brush to Black and paint around the catchlights to increase the depth of the pupil.
3) Create a new empty Layer(Blending = Overlay (or Color Dodge), Opacity = to be adjusted)and with a fuzzy White Brush (Opacity 5%)paint some 'light' opposite the catchlight.

Mouth, Nose and Cheeks:
1) Create new empty Layers (Blending = Normal, Overlay, Soft Light, Screen or Color Opacity = to be adjusted)and with a fuzzy either Black or White Brush (Opacity 5-60%), paint over the features to either increase depth or enhance highlights to give a 3D feeling to the face.

If any of the corrections result too drastic, you can always decrease the Opacity or blur the 'offending' Layer and add a bit of noise to it to blend it smoothly with the rest of the image ....

Thank you so much for your great feedback!
I did have a look at the picture you mentioned "Reviving a WWII treasure" ... What a lovely picture!!! I hope you don't mind if I worked on it ... and posted the result on its thread.

Last edited by Flora; 11-10-2003 at 05:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2003, 09:38 AM
I would really like to thank Flora for sharing her techniques - having seen what can be achieved I just had to have a go.

Hope you don't mind Mead.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 lad.jpg (93.4 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2003, 03:30 PM

Really nice job, and I don't mind at all.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2003, 06:40 PM
great job there Flora - amazing
tnx for the tips
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help