Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

High res

Old 11-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Question High res

I'm probably learning all this the wrong way around, but it's only now striking me that a lot of my (older) photos are only medium resolution (around 800 x 600) and trying to get high resolution printed results out of them seems impossible.

My printer is a Lexmark all in one X75. Is there any way that I can use these pics and yet still be able to print at say 300dpi without my final image being the size of a postage stamp?

(Needless to say, I'm now taking photos ONLY in four figure pixel resolution).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2003, 07:16 PM
DPI and PPI are different things. You can print a 72ppi file at 2400dpi, and vice versa. An 800x600ppi image should make an acceptable 3x5 print. Larger than that and you'll start seeing pixels.

There are techniques and software to hide the pixel-look, but they don't actually add resolution, and larger prints can end up looking blurry.

Try stair-step interpolation, where you upsize 10% at a time until you reach your desired resolution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Hi Res

Maybe just to pick up on Doug's thought, go into image size and change your width and height from pixels or inches to PERCENT.
Change your values to 110. This will increase both image size and resolution with minimal degradation. Keep doing this in 10% steps until you get the image size that you need. Make sure both Constrain Proportions and Resample Image are checked.
This is a Jim Vitale tip shared by Scott Kelby in his book The Photoshop book for digital photographers.
I find this technique works very well.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Thanks very much for that, chaps. The whole question of resolution (in all its forms) is slowly seeping into my brain, as I'm sure you could tell!

I did try stairstep interpolation as you suggested, taking an old image up to almost double the pixels it had been. While the result wouldn't have been good enough as a standalone, it would still be useful for layering and effects. As the work I'm aiming at is mostly multi-imaged, this is very helpful.

Doug, I have added a book of yours to my Amazon wishlist!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help