RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How To Whiten The Teeth & Eyes Of An Image

Old 11-27-2003, 11:46 AM

How To Whiten The Teeth & Eyes Of An Image

Newbie Question,

Please supply detailed information on How To Whiten The Teeth & Eyes Of An Image. Thank You, HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

gho64
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2003, 01:00 PM

It will vary from image to image. Personally for teeth I tend to select the teeth , feather the selction, copy to a new layer and then reduce the saturation and increase the lightness on that layer (and then reduce the opacity of the layer slightly). For eyes it depends. Sometimes I lighten them with Levels, sometimes I paint over them on a new layer with very low opacity soft white brush, sometimes you need to clone out bloodvessels...

If you want more detailed than that, try posting a particular problem image and I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful suggestions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2003, 03:02 PM

If you check the tutorial section, I wrote a thing there under the retouching category on eye enhancement. That's how I lighten eyes, and it should work well for teeth. Just using an overlay neutral layer, basically.

Sometimes teeth don't need to be lightened, though. Sometimes they're just yellow. My cheap way of fixing yellow teeth is to just pick the color blue, because it's the complimetary color of yellow, set my opacity to %3 and mode on the brush to color, and just swab once across their dingy maw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2003, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah
It will vary from image to image. Personally for teeth I tend to select the teeth , feather the selction, copy to a new layer and then reduce the saturation and increase the lightness on that layer (and then reduce the opacity of the layer slightly). For eyes it depends. Sometimes I lighten them with Levels, sometimes I paint over them on a new layer with very low opacity soft white brush, sometimes you need to clone out bloodvessels...
I'm a newbie here and a relative newbie to PS, but have spent many hundreds of hours in it over the past year. I use exactly that technique 95% of the time. If they are excessively yellow, doing the desaturate just on the Yellows is often effective, but not all the time.

Sometimes, however, just using the dodge tool is all it takes to lighten things up a bit. Doing this on a selection of the mouth and duplicated onto a separate layer gives you the option of "backing off" the technique a bit by lowering the opacity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2003, 07:37 AM

There is also a thread on whitening teeth in the Studio - Scratch Pad Forum.

Click here to check it out.

~T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help