RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Feedback requested-More bad skin

Old 01-04-2004, 10:47 AM

Hi Di!

The site is new to me. I've actually just ordered the book. If you want to hold off, I'll let you know what I think. I didn't notice the tapes. I'll check it out.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 10:54 AM

Duv,

Your last version looks fabulous!! Do you recall the steps? How did you do the pearls and her chest area? How did you lighten up her face and keep it brown?

Roger,

If I darken the chest area and work on the pearls, are you saying that you still think I've got her face too light?

In the end, aren't customers happiest with a version that looks the prettiest, rather than one that exactly matches their original? Assuming of course, that we don't stray too far from the original.

Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 12:11 PM

Thanks Di!

Basically, I do much the same as Christine and Roger. I don't try to do too much, "especially" around the eyes, eyebrows, nose and mouth. To lighten, I only used a curves adjustment. Nothing fancy. Just enough to open up the contrast. To darken her chest I sampled her forehead then painted with a low opacity brush set to darken. My thoughts on Roger's curves adjustment are that perhaps the pearls aren't white. They could be cream or pink.
My philosophy is to use the KISS principle as much as possible, especially around key features. Not to answer for Roger, but I think you have to find a balance that satisfies you and the client. Remember, those you will never see, will also be evaluating your work. You don't want to hear the whispers "She likes it, but it doesn't look like her!"

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 12:39 PM

Hi Diane,

I was not saying that I was trying to match the original, but that I was trying to match what the original looked like before it faded. Usually that does bring out the prettiest photo unless the photographer messed up.

One clue to the idea that there has been some fading is the pearls, not the whole pearl - it could be pink, but the highlight reflection on the pearls should be close to white no matter what color the pearls are. Technically that would really be darkening, but since the skin tone is almost the same as the pearl highlight those skin tones have faded, on top of that age, dirt and staining have darkened the light areas of the photo.

Upon using a curves adjustment to move the pearl highlight to near white the rest of the photo looked to light, so I adjusted it until it looked good to me without blocking up the dark areas.

I don't think any selective darkening or lightening is needed after this global adjustment - just repair work.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 01:19 PM

I did an additional levels adjustment to reduce a bit more of the flatness and to lighten the pearls. I'm getting values about 245/233/178. Not white white but whiter. Roger, is this more in line with your thoughts?

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackwomanrestore.jpg (93.4 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 02:36 PM

Duv,

Skin is still too light to my taste ... the curves adjustment sample I posted is the way I like it ... but with everyone viewing on different monitors and such and this all being subjective there is no right or wrong if it looks good to you.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 03:53 PM

Thank you Roger. Actually it's too light for my taste as well. Went back to an earlier version and applied your curve. Albeit later in the workflow, I do like the darker skin and the pearls are whiter.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2004, 02:01 PM

Hi Roger and Duv,

Thanks again for all your help on this pic . It took awhile for me to see just how light the face still was in my last version. I had worked on it so long that it didn't even stand out to me to anymore

I followed Duv's suggestion on how to darken the chest but maybe the opacity I used was too high as I ended up losing her collar bones and then it was too late to go back to my earlier version which had them..So I darkened with a brush.

So here is my last version...I ran out of time and energy to start with the drapes...

Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm-hallmark-black wom#7200b.jpg (73.3 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2004, 07:56 PM

Hi Diane

Don't get frustrated but I think you need to go back to ground zero. All of us have gone thru what you're going thru now. Keep talking to us. I'm sure individually or collectively we can get you to a better restore job. Maybe we should just take baby steps, check the results and make any corrections or suggestions before moving on. If you're up to it, let's start again and have some fun.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help