RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Question

Old 01-19-2004, 08:14 AM

I'm not exactly sure what the end result for your project is, but here's what I'd do to get rid of the soft uneven edges. Some of this has already been suggested, so forgive me for being redundant.

*Use the "magic wand" and select the white areas. Hold down the shift key to select additional edges that are not connected.
*Select "inverse" from the "select" menu.
*Select "modify" from "select" menu.
*Then select "contract" (a couple of pixels - 2 to 4), depending on what you prefer)
*Select "modify" once again and select "smooth" (adjust to preference).
*After you get the smoothness that you want Right click on the layer and select "layer via copy".
*Your edges should be smooth now so you can re-create the white background with the paint bucket tool and flatten the two images.

This only takes a few moments of time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2004, 03:34 AM

I tried that before anything else. It does not work well. If you take too much pixels, then it changes the shape of your selection
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2004, 07:13 PM

Hi Balky

I guess I too am getting a bit confused as to what you actually want to achieve. You talked about a way of getting rid of the jaggies. I don't think it is possible with the wand tool. I thought Scott's (sdubose99) idea was a terrific way of getting the most out of providing sharp edges. If that doesn't give you what you want, how much better do you need to make it to satisfy your needs?

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2004, 07:26 PM

Balky,
I believe that a better way to create a graphic would be to use Illustrator since it is vector-based rather than bit-mapped. Not an answer you want, but probably helpful in the long run.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2004, 07:36 PM

Hi DUV. You said you too were getting confused; who else is confused? My last post was a reply to LQQKER. I did not say anything about my being unsatisfied or anything at all for that matter.

My Original question was if it was possible to straighten selection. Selection takes the shape of uneven edges, and even if you do contract it, it retains its original shape. That's all I wanted to know. I guess PS does not yet provide that trick The solution that SDUBOSS99 provided is great but it does not make the edges perfectly even. It makes it much smoother and less noticeable.

I want the edges to be absolutely perfectly even so I can make a shape out of it for future use. That is why I am still exploring my options.

Sorry if I confused anyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2004, 09:54 PM

Hi Balky

Thanks for clarifying. It was probably just me that was confused. I think you may be limited though in getting much more out of your graphic. Perhaps CJ's idea is worth exploring. Also, if you had a Wacom tablet, you could probably find lots of curly templates at the local craft store that you could trace. Darn, just doesn't seem to be an "easy" way to solve your need.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2004, 10:55 PM

You will never get a really smooth edge with any bitmap image unless it is straight up and down or horizontal. The best you will ever get is an anti-aliased edge if it is curved or at an angle that is due to the way bitmap (or raster) images work.

I would suggest that you do a search for photoshop shapes there are many out there that have been created in vector programs and saved in a format that photoshop can use. Or try using some of the dingbat or script fonts to create your own.

The attached image was created in a vector program (XaraX) and exported as an AI file then opened in PS. It consists of the letter 'S' in a script font.

The second image is exported from XaraX as a png file which can be used in PS.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shape 1.jpg (83.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Shape1.png (47.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Xaran; 01-22-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help