RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Poley Family 1908 Fading-stains-streaks

Old 01-22-2004, 11:24 PM

Thanks Ed & Susan,

Quote:
Well.... what I want to do is not important. It's what *you* want to do.
I realize that but I have to see what you did in order to decide...

I will try again with Susan's suggestion... I am a pretty perserverant...stubborn.....

Carol
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2004, 01:30 AM

Just for fun I had a go myself using Elements - mainly concentrating on trying to even up the tone - I didn't really have a go at the damage repair - it really needs a larger and less compressed file to do that I think. Bear in mind that this is probably only my second or third go at restoration - I mainly use Elements for photoediting.

I started with the Green layer as Carol did, then did something similar to Ed to adjust the streaking - I used a levels adjustment layer, increased the brightness with the middle slider and then masked the whole lot out by filling the adjustment layer's layer mask with black. I then painted in on the layer mask using a soft airbrush at 50 per cent opacity and white the darker streaked areas to bring them up. I then merged all visible layers onto one new layer. I did a similar - but rather more radical curves adjustment layer than Ed to incease the contrast and at the same time set sensible black and white points - I masked this with a gradient mask and also modified the mask with a large radius soft airbrush.
I then merged all the visible layers onto one layer again and then above this on a new layer cloned some of the worst damage out. By this stage the jpeg compression artefacts were becoming very visible at 100 per cent gave up and just gave the end result a quick sharpen, added a new layer set to color blending mode and filled with a sepia tone borrowed from the original image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polGr-01copy.jpg (99.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2004, 07:42 PM

As an alternative you could try working in LAB mode. Throw out your color channels. The B&W channel is quite light but shows a lot of detail. As most of the banding shows up in the clothes, you can get good results just from careful use of the Patch Tool. Once your work is complete, then adjust with Curves.

Cheers
Duv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-polGR.jpg (92.3 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2004, 08:13 PM

Duv -We don't have LAB mode in Elements (altho the Hidden Powers stuff has a workaround that brings you close). We don't have the patch tool either!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2004, 09:27 PM

Well now. I feel silly. I thought Elements was much closer to big brother. I actually have Elements software and should load it up to find out what it's all about. Thank you Susan!

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2004, 12:39 AM

Wow... you all have been busy while I went ot sleep.... I am +7hrs from EST....

I have one really theorectical question...

Should I first do damage repair and then fix the tone...curves/levals etc..

Or should I fix the tone first and than do damage repair....
Are both ways Kosher?

This is my First real restoration and I don't mind starting over to get the correct method if there is one....
Quote:
I did a similar - but rather more radical curves adjustment layer than Ed to incease the contrast and at the same time set sensible black and white points - I masked this with a gradient mask and also modified the mask with a large radius soft airbrush.
Sorry to be such a dummie... I am so new to curves... what were your sensible points... did you take them from the image...

Also really not to clear about the gradient mask? and its modification???

Really appreciate the help...

Carol
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2004, 03:43 AM

Carol - as I'm on Australian central time I post at rather odd hours too!
I don't know what is the "official" order of events in restoration - I'm strictly an amateur. Katrin Eisemann's recommendations in her Restoration and Retouching book (I've got the first edition, and with the help of the Hidden Elements tools I can do about 90 percent of the material using Elements) are to start with the big problems first - exposure, colour and contrast and then move onto the detailed repair - it makes sense to me as in the few examples I've played with you can't really see what you've got to work with until the big problems are fixed.

I took the darkest and lightest points that looked like they were image data rather than scribble (from the shadow on the legs of the girl on the bottom right and from the right shoulder of the woman at the centre of the image) - I could have set these by clicking on these areas with the black point and white point eyedroppers in either levels or curves. In fact I did it manually by putting handles on the bits that I thought were darkest and lightest (by command (mac)/control(windows) clicking on the image) and then dragging them up or down to the appropriate axis of the curves diagram. This left the top of the image and the bottom right looking to contrasty, so I reduced the strength of the curves layer in this region by adding a gradient to the curves-layer layer mask - running from mid grey (where the curves layer will only have about 50 per cent effect) to white, top to bottom, and then using a soft brush with black at 50 per cent (or less) opacity to paint over the mask in the bottom left corner, to reduce the contrast there.
Is that any clearer? Both the Hidden Elements and Katrin Eisemann's book have quite a bit about using curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2004, 04:34 AM

I'm on Jerusalem time so you are about 10 hours ahead of me... probably asleep...

First I want to thank you for your help... I have just bought the Hidden Elements book and its a quite technical, more than I thought... I have to read several times and do the examples... I will have to redo the one on curves again to really SEE what is happening... I wil look into Katrins book as well....if I can do 90% on elements its probably worth the investment... I will wait till my friend goes to NY again as the price of shipping makes the whole thing double...

Have you tried neatimage? I tried it on the original green channel see attached detail.... would I do this before tone/contrast etc or after... I am working on a huge image..scanned at 600dpi.... that is mainly because of the upper right hand girls face is so damaged I wanted more detail to work to reconstruct her face....and with 2 layers its 128MB...

I really like the way to blend in the streaks painting in white on blk mask, but I used 25% opacity mostly with the blend mode at screen...

I will retry your method and see what comes out...

Thanks

CArol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detail-comp.jpg (56.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2004, 04:56 AM

I'm still up! (only 9.20 pm here!) Neat Image would be useful -but I am using a Mac and Neat Image is not yet available for us yet unfortunately, so I can't try it out as part of a workflow for restoration. My inclination would be to do that as a later step rather than a first as it might result in a loss of detail that would be useful in the restoration process - but not having used it I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2004, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan S.
I'm still up! (only 9.20 pm here!) Neat Image would be useful -but I am using a Mac and Neat Image is not yet available for us yet unfortunately, so I can't try it out as part of a workflow for restoration. My inclination would be to do that as a later step rather than a first as it might result in a loss of detail that would be useful in the restoration process - but not having used it I'm not sure.
Yes you are probably right....that is logical. .. back to the drawing board..

Carol
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help