RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Son of Pigeon Tower

Old 10-05-2001, 07:33 PM

Son of Pigeon Tower

Here's an out of the camera image. Leave the strong imagery and contrast or bring up more detail.

I used to pass this tower twice a day when I was in honest work. In winter it bears a strange resemblance to Count Dracula's holiday cottage especially with mist swirling around it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt 4.jpg (67.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by chris h; 10-06-2001 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2001, 08:01 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I guess I'll be the first to vote. For this particular image (which I really like) I think it would be better with a little more detail. Just my opinion. How 'bout a side by side comparison?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2001, 08:16 PM

This one is much better. The stark outline adds a "dark ages" look and air to it. If its a Pigeon Tower, where are the flying rats?(and it looks like it's still raining). Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2001, 10:00 PM

This is a very strong image Chris and I like it a lot!
I agree with Ed that a little more detail in certain areas might make it better. If it were mine (and I would be proud if it were ) I might try a color range-shadow mask - curves-adjustment layer to lighten the foreground just enough to get some detail in the fence. This would enhance the convergence of the road and fence that leads the eye to the tower. I might also try cropping out the clear sky in the upper left ( as it draws my attention slightly from the main subject ) and crop about half way from the right edge to the fence which IMHO would enhance the lead in of the road and fence and balance my crop of the top.
I would like to see which way you go with it. Like I said a very strong graphical image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 03:51 AM

Thanks for the input Ed TG & RR. I thought I'd put it up in its original form, although in its 70k form a lots gone.

Its always raining in Lancashire Tom, old people are carried off by rheumatism and respiratory diseases. I have to pack my father off to my brothers place in southern France every year. He's 80+ and a couple of months in a warm dry climate and it takes 30 years off him.

The tower is part of a vast Victorian garden on the hills above my village now derelict. Its a mass of stairways, stone summerhouses
and overgrown terraces.
I took a group of self styled 'physics' up there late one night in winter years ago but not to disappoint laid on a 'ghost'. Alas it all blew up in my face, ghost appeared on cue in attire, member of party collapsed in terror and had to be hauled away in ambulance. No pleasing these ghosthunters !
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 11:30 AM

Great place to scare the tourists Chris. Love the photo, it has that spooky feel you said it would. Other than the smaller size, how is it different from the other one you told us to ignore? OOPs we weren't supposed to know about that one.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 12:24 PM

DJ,

Different camera position that's all, though the sky doesn't seem as 'strong' in the second version, also I hadn't got rid of the chimmney cowl either. The gardens can be very atmospheric even during the daytime, its the sort of place you tend to look over your shoulder a lot !

The gardens are full of quirky architecture some of it designed by the owner Lord Lever. Here's a bridge he had built to his own design...

http://www.railway.demon.co.uk/images/Bridge%201.jpg

Last edited by chris h; 10-06-2001 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 02:42 PM

It looks like his own design was taken from the Roman Aquaducts. At least that's what it reminds me of. Love the cobblstone road and the surrounding countryside. Beautiful scenery. Makes you want to travel the road on horse back. I must admit I am intriqued everytime you post a photo. I love seeing what new exciting place you come up with next. The only part of the UK I got to see was the White Cliffs of Dover, Leeds Castle and London. We lived in Ghent Belgium for 2 years and would take the ferry from Oostenede. Hated the driving experience.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 06:01 PM

There's all sorts of strange architecture around me generated by rich industrialists and unlimited cash.

I must say I rarely venture into southern England unless paid to do so. It's very crowded and a traffic nightmare, given the choice I always head north Scotlands only a 100 miles away, although the compulsory Kilt wearing can be a nuisance !
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 06:35 PM

I can imagine it gets to be a real nuisance on a windy day.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help