RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with white splotches?

Old 02-27-2004, 01:04 PM

Vicki,

Thanks very much for the link to your tutorial. It is great! Layer masks was a subject I thought I didn't understand so well but now I bet I'll be using them quite alot! Is it easier than quick-masking to change the background with the marquis tool?

Flora,

I am speechless how beautiful your version came out!!!

When you added some noise, which choice did you select?

I am also curious what else you did after the layer mask to get the hair to look so good and to smooth the skin. Was it the gaussian blur to soften the skin?

I will have to go back and redo the hair of course, but here is where I am with it right now, after following your steps...

Thank you so very much!!
Diane

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-27-newboy w elbows #7EB8D.jpg (79.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 08:58 AM

Hi everybody,

thank you so much for such a great, great feedback!!!!

Due to big changes in my life (we will be moving to a place which is being restored right now), I'll have to live under unoccupied bridges for the next year and a half or so ... In these circumstances, it won't always be easy to organize an Internet connection ... but I'll try my very best .... Jokes aside, until our new place will be ready for us to move in, we'll be travelling a lot sooo .... please....bear with my 'unreliable presence' a bit longer ....

Diane,

something strange happened .... I got an e-mail notification for your reply to the post, but when I logged on RP to read it .... well...it wasn't there so I couldn't see your latest version of your picture!

Anyway, here are the steps I took working on your picture:
  • Duplicated the Background.
  • Loosely selected and feathered the faded area, Ctrl + J copied it on its own Layer, set the Blending to Multiply (Opacity 25/30%), adjusted Hue&Saturation to correct the colour. (I didn't desaturate).
  • Took care of the scratches as explained in my previous post.
  • To fix the hair, I used Healing Brush, Clone and Smudge Tool .
  • To clean up, smoothen and enhancing the skin, I used soft Gaussian Blur (adding some noise for texture), created new Layers (Blendings: Lighten, Darken, Soft Light and Overlay) on which I painted black, white or sampled colours from surrounding areas (always using soft brushes adjusting their Opacity).
  • Changed and slightly blurred the Background.
  • Slightly colorized the whole picture.
  • Slightly Sharpened the boy.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have other questions .... I'll get back to you as soon as I can ....

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2004, 12:12 PM

Hi Flora!

Maybe we should all chip in for a wireless device for you so you can connect from anywhere, since your help is so invaluable!! Hope that the construction/renovating goes smoothly and that you enjoy all the traveling!

I had briefly posted another version last night but then took it down after seeing more probs with it.. That's probably why you got that email and then didn't see anything...

So here is my latest version, after following your notes above the best I could.. I didn't quite understand the part about painting black or white on the skin. Is it that you sometimes used black or white on the blotches instead of the surrounding color? I will have to practice more on this as it took so much time to get to this point

Thank you so much for all your help!
Diane

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm-3-1-BW-Boy w elbows copy.jpg (62.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2004, 02:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't quite satisfied how my last version came out and finally did it again, from the beginning this time.

I was not able to get so far selecting the discolored background and then adjusting the hue to match the other part. Instead I resorted to converting it to a grayscale and then later changed it back to RGB and added the hue.

Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new-3-14-boy w elbows#807E1.jpg (65.6 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2004, 03:33 PM

Hi Diane,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipech
....Maybe we should all chip in for a wireless device for you so you can connect from anywhere, since your help is so invaluable!!
....Thank you so much!!!!

I think you did a wonderful job with this picture!!!!

I'd just increase the lights/shadows contrast on the boy's face/cheeks which, in my opinion, looks just a tiny bit flat....but it could be my monitor ....

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2004, 03:59 PM

Hi Flora!

Thanks very much for the complement! I have spent hours futzing with this picture!! I think the big lesson I learned this time is to go back to the very beginning, no matter how much work you think it is, instead of trying to repair something at a later stage...

What's the best way you'd recommend here to increase the contrast?

I tried it with both curves and levels and both methods tend to darken the hair too much so that you lose the detail... But this is a darker version

Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-new-3-14-boy w elbo#80881.jpg (66.3 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2004, 07:34 PM

Personally, I like using levels to adjust contrast.
This is dark. One of the pitfalls of adjusting contrast is that sometimes you loose detail in the shadows.
What you have so far looks pretty good. I used your last post, and colored it. Many times certain flaws aren't as obvious when there's color (plus, I like to see what these look like in color).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11111-2.jpg (57.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2004, 09:08 PM

Thanks Vikki! Your colorized version looks great, esp the skin tone which looks very natural.

I've scarcely attempted to colorize anything yet...Where would you recommend starting to learn how to do it?

Best regards,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2004, 05:00 AM

Hi Diane,

Hope you don't mind if I worked on your final version...
What I did to achieve an increased 3D consistency in the picture (particularly the boy's face and arms),is the following:
  • Working on the BG Copy I created a 'Luminosity Mask'(Ctrl+Alt+~) and a 'Shadows Mask' (same procedure as for the 'Luminosity Mask' plus Ctrl+I to invert the Mask).
  • Set the blending for the 'Luminosity Mask' to 'Multiply' to increase the consistency,(adjusting the Opacity until satisfied).
  • Set the blending for the 'Shadows Mask' to 'Screen' to lighten the already dark parts of the image (hair etc.), (adjusting the Opacity until satisfied).
  • Created a new Empty Layer (blending=Overlay) and with a soft white brush, slightly highlighted his cheekbones and just above the bridge of his nose.

...That's all .... I hope the difference can be seen .... I'm having a bit of troubles with the "Save for Web" option in Photoshop .... What looks vibrant and with a nice contrast while working on it, becomes washed out ... and somehow faded once saved in JPG format .... I'm aware of the loss of details due to compression, but it had never been so bad before...(maybe it's my monitor....)

Vikki,

I also use the Levels when it comes to increase the overall contrast in a picture .... but I rather use Luminosity or 'Shadow' masks and Levels and/or Layer blending, if I'm concentrating on specific parts of the picture or if I want to minimize the effect of my corrections on the rest of the image.

Your colorized version is simply magic....
P.S. I've tried colorizing a picture following the Tutorial you pointed out ... (still got a looong way to go .... though!!!)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoyD.jpg (97.9 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2004, 08:13 AM

Flora, your technique really does give the photo more dimension!

Regarding "Save for Web" problems, my first thought is that it's caused by the way you have your Profiles set up in Photoshop. (I'm saying this from personal experience).
What are your settings for "soft proofing", and "working profile"?

That coloring technique is unique, and some people find it difficult to do, but it does produce some excellent results if you can master it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help