RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

backlighting images

Old 03-05-2004, 07:19 AM

backlighting images

Hello forum. I'm looking to make an digital image semi-tranparent. I want the look of the backlit images you see in advertising. I'll be using this on a webpage.

Also, does anyone know the process used to make real images like this? I've seen many and always wondered how they were done.

Thanks
Boss1
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2004, 07:35 AM

Can you give an example of the sort of image you are thinking of?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2004, 07:56 PM

transparency displays

They are backlit photo transparencies. I've found them on the internet, so I know better how they're done but I am still wanting to make something similar using digital.
I uploaded one I found as used in a fake window frame.

Boss1
Attached Images
File Type: bmp lb_window.bmp (32.3 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 01:53 AM

Hi Boss1,

After reading your first post on this Thread, I did a search for 'backlit images & transparencies' on the Internet ....

I find the technique very fascinating, but, from what I understood of it, it is achieved using special pads, lights, materials and colours .....

I'm not sure if it's possible to try and reproduce those effects with Photoshop ... but I'll give it a try (it's something I've never done before.... so I don't know how it'll come out .... )

I'll post an example as soon as I finish ....

Last edited by Flora; 03-06-2004 at 04:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 04:18 AM

Hi Boss1,

.... me again .....

This is what I came up with .... don't know if it's even close to the real effect, but, if it goes in the direction you wished, just let me know...and I'll post a detailed description of how I got there ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Eagle.jpg (99.1 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 05:55 AM

Hey Flora

Impressive. I think it's great. It appears the effect must both 'backlight' and brighten the darker areas. In other words, the entire image must get brighter; not just the background. Is that what you did or are my eyes deceiving me? You did a super job with the green background without making it look dull.

Please let me know how you did it so I can start playing with a couple of images! I especially need to know the size/resolution you saved these images. They are quite crisp for under 100k. I'm still working to keep quality high without creating HUGE files. I'd like to see how far we can go to make this effect the best.

take care-

Boss1
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 02:26 PM

Hi Boss1,

Thank you for your feedback .... and so glad you liked it!

What I tried to imagine was a transparency placed on a light pad in a frame .... To really make the 'backlit' picture/transparency 'come alive', I chose a dark background and played with/pumped up brightness and saturation .... (brightness only would make the colours fade a bit).

Here is what I did:

DARK FRAME
  • Duplicated the background.
  • Created a new empty Layer between BG and BG Copy.
  • Working on the BG Copy, leaving the picture in the middle, I increased the Canvas of 6 cm. (to get the frame).
  • Filled the Empty Layer with a very dark green.

PICTURE
Always work on the Picture... never on the dark frame!(Meaning...whatever you do, select (Ctrl+Click) the picture only....this will leave your frame unchanged)
  • Duplicated the BG Copy (BG Copy2)and created a Layer Mask (hide All)(to get back some details wich the next step might 'blow')
  • Gone back to the BG Copy and used Filter>Render>Lighting Effects on it (Just play with the different settigs until you get the result you like.
At this point, part of the white feathers on the Eagle's head were 'blown' (no details anymore)
  • Chose a White fuzzy Brush (Opacity 40/60%) and painted over the Black Layer mask created previously on BG Copy2, to get some details back.
  • Played with Brightness & Contrast and Selective Colors to emphasize the image.
  • Created the Metal Frame.
  • Merged Visible.
TIP: To merge the Layers (without losing any of the steps)just create an Empty Layer on top of all the others and, keeping the 'Alt' key pressed, choose 'Merge visible'.
  • Duplicate the 'Merged' Layer. (blending set to Color - Opacity adjusted to desire)
  • Opened the Hue&Saturation Dialog, (Ctrl+U) and increased the saturation.
  • Run Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur to better blend the Colours.

As for the best image size for the 100KB allowed, I usually go for 800x600pixels JPG format.
  • From the 'File' Menu in Photoshop, choose 'Save for Web' ...
  • On the right hand side of the 'Save for Web' window click on the little arrow beside the 'Settings'.
  • Choose 'Optimize to File Size'
  • Type 100 in the 'Desired File Size' field.

Hope this could help.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 04:44 PM

I just want to make sure I understand the technique being asked for.

You are looking for something that makes the image look as if the lighting is coming from the back? So the shadows are more noticeable from the front?

Or am I completely off

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 07:46 PM

Noelf,

Thanks for your inquiry. -Trying to not be blunt - but yes, you are wrong in your assumption about shadows. I can see how you might think in that direction. Visualize a picture hanging flat against the wall in a dimly (poorly) lit room. Now make the picture a transparency and put a mildly diffused light source behind it in a light box so the illumination only escapes through the picture. The image now 'comes alive' (- thanks Flora) You see many examples of this in retail stores. This technique really draws attention to pictures.

I sure hope this helps. Give it a shot.

Boss1
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1
Noelf,

Thanks for your inquiry. -Trying to not be blunt - but yes, you are wrong in your assumption about shadows. I can see how you might think in that direction. Visualize a picture hanging flat against the wall in a dimly (poorly) lit room. Now make the picture a transparency and put a mildly diffused light source behind it in a light box so the illumination only escapes through the picture. The image now 'comes alive' (- thanks Flora) You see many examples of this in retail stores. This technique really draws attention to pictures.

I sure hope this helps. Give it a shot.

Boss1
Ok, I understand it better now Just wanted to make sure I was in synch with the question.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help