RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

My website

Old 10-09-2001, 05:24 AM

Thank you all so much for your critiques.
From your comments, I feel the site does what I intended.
Now I'll quit thinking about how I can "redo" the site, and get more examles up there.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 05:56 AM

Hi Vikki,

I happened onto your site a while back and remember it well in fact have it bookmarked as I thought it was a very well done site.

I looked again at the site but this time putting myself in the shoes of a person who is not familiar with photo restoration and found a couple of ideas that you might think on;

Under the policy area you mention the customer obtaining a signed release. I didn't know if you have a signed release you provide to your local people or not, but as a person not familiar with restoration and all the particulars of it maybe a link to another page with a printable signed release that they could printout, take, and have signed might be helpful. I know the shop I work with has a release form they give to their customers for any work that needs it and the customer gets it signed and brings it back. Just an idea on this as it would be convenient for the customer so they wouldn't have to figure out where to get a release or even with some people what one was. Wouldn't want to deter anyone from pursuing restoration because they didn't know where to get a release.

Also, in the second item under policy you need as "l" in professional photographers.

You might mention on the left side of the examples page right under the instructions for viewing the gallery that pricing is there as well, ie. "view before and after photos as well as pricing". Some people need a little extra hand holding when they visit sites.

I think you have plenty of examples for people to look at and a good variety as well. I don't know if you've done any but maybe under the photo fun a collage example would be good. Like three or four different ages on a child with a nice background as well as their birthdate and name or parents surrounded by their children.

Hope this doesn't sound critical on my part but I figured when you said you really wanted it critiqued you meant critiqued. I know I have asked people in the past for opinions and was very grateful for any ideas or opinions I could get.

Again it's a wonderful site, direct and to the point without a lot of hype which people don't want to take the time to read. Very nice job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 06:07 AM

By the way Vikki,

If I ever can make it out your way I'll be knocking on your door for some restoration lessons.....you don't fantastic work on the extra hard pictures!

How 'bout you and DJ getting together for an online course...I keep telling DJ she needs to get an online course going and here's a chance for you two to get after it..LOL!

I'd pay for sure!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 08:33 AM

Hi Vikki,

I have a few suggestions.

Main Page:
The navigational tabs stacked on the left pull your page off balance. Try stacking them in a horizontal line at the bottom of your page to finish framing the page or in a vertical column on the left of your page. You also might want to center your copyright information with the rest of the page. I like your banner and the example lets the customer know what quality of work this site offers and entices them to see the other examples and look around your web site.

Examples Page:
I like the framed page set-up and the fact that you can view the thumbnails to select which ones you want to enlarge to view in more detail.

Overall I think the site is well designed, is easy to navigate, provides excellent information and sets a professional tone.

-T

P.S.

Your examples are fantastic…a great representation of the quality work you do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 11:35 AM

T & Chris,
Thanks for your suggestions. I've decided to redo the "Details" page. I want to make it a little less wordy. I'll check for those spelling errors! Good point also about the copyright release.
Someone else mentioned that they hadn't notice the "pricing". I guess I do need to make that more visible, but that involves some major html rework, so that may take me awhile.

I'm not seeing how the tabs are causing shifting......but, perhaps moving them over to the left would be a good idea anyway. I don't want them at the bottom as I want those options available right off the bat (not having to scroll). Centering the copyright notice is another good idea.

Thanks! This is great.

PS: about the lessons.....I'm a terrible teacher. I would suggest to anyone - buy Katrin Eiseman's (sp) book. She knows what she's talking about. Do each lesson.

Also, this next statement was an idea I had for a thread, but haven't had the nerve to start it. Here goes.....I hope this doesn't sound mean, but the critiques on the challenges need to point out the good and the BAD. What or where there seems to be a problem or technique change needed. Unless you know where you're going wrong, how can you improve?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 02:41 PM
Janitor

I moved responses to Vikki's "Good/bad critique" to here

Let's try to keep to one topic per thread (and don't be shy about starting new threads). Threads with multiple topics make it almost impossible for newbies to participate in the contained topics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:18 AM

Vikki,

Well, for one thing, I think your site is awesome.

It's simple to navigate, it's clear, well well explained. (pardon if I'm rambling, I haven't put in any baily's in my coffee yet)

There really isn't much to say anything negative about your site. It was a very well thought out layout.

I DO have one recommendation that I think Chris touched on.
Putting a "guess-timate" on the samples you worked, that way someone can't say, "Well, mine isn't THAT bad."

And just to let you know, I'm in awe of your techniques.

Rick

<tosses a nickle>
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 11:32 AM

Ok, I've taken some good suggestions and updated a few things.
I still need to get the "pricing" page set up.

You've all been so helpful in offering such in depth reviews - I really appreciate your help.

Rick, I'm not sure what you meant by:
Quote:
Putting a "guess-timate" on the samples you worked, that way someone can't say, "Well, mine isn't THAT bad."
Do you mean I should put prices on the examples?
I thought of that, but I would have to go back and redo everything. Maybe I should put small examples on the pricing page?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 01:31 PM

Well, I didn't have my coffee when I wrote it.

Basically you would give written examples of what the pricing would include, but the customer would say, "I think my photo isn't 'excessive' it's only 'minor'."

But you're right, having some examples with prices would be best. I saw something like that on another site somewhere.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 02:12 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
If I'm not mistaken, Vikki listed guidelines (such as 20% of image) as to which category an image might fall in. Vikki, I wonder if it would be helpful if you had an image next to the guidelines? You might say "This one is an example of up to 20% of the image, this is up to 40%, this is minor, this is moderate, this is excessive", etc. That might help alleviate any potential problem with the customer. Also, do you give a firm price after seeing the work to be done, and before actually doing it?

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help