RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Very dark shadow in facial portrait

Old 08-05-2004, 08:45 AM

Kiska's version seems the only one that approaches reasonable.

It'd be easy for a traditional retouch artist, or for a serious digital retoucher, who would certainly employ a graphics pad, to develop this young lady's shadow-side eye and perhaps expand on a few other small hinted features...but the image is, as it stands, attractive as improved by Kiska.

We might remember that one of the first big commercial uses of photography in the US was portraiture of corpses, such as the Civil War dead. The photographer would then "open" the eyes of the departed on negatives by spotting cochineal (and later, "new coccine" from Eastman Kodak), a photo red dye, on closed eyelids making what woud become the whites of eyes, making them appear to be open. Then pencil work would be done on the prints to provide fine detail. This would give the family what might be the only image of their lost soldier.

Is the young woman in this photo similarly "lost?" If she remains beautiful and still available, a better original portrait would seem in order. Of course, since the parent didn't pay for the photo in the first place, and is now prepared to accept free retouching from another friend...

This seems yet another lesson about ethics, amateur portraiture (like "amateur plumbing" or "amateur surgery"), and amateur photolab / retouching. The "customer" winds up getting something third rate and deeply disappointing, while taking food from the tables of local professionals.

Last edited by westsidemaurice; 08-05-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 AM

I agree with Janet. I think their is a bit more info to pull out with a higher resolution pic. Here's what I got doing some curves, Highlite/shadows and smoothing.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Candice 11-15-01.jpg (81.9 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 10:12 AM

Well here is my spin after 10 min of work. No cloning or healing tools which would have made it better but I was in a hurry . More data there than you would think but it would be much better with a higher res scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test2.jpg (84.6 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilte
Well here is my spin after 10 min of work. No cloning or healing tools which would have made it better but I was in a hurry . More data there than you would think but it would be much better with a higher res scan.
Nice job !

The eyes and teeth/lips, keys to good portraits, are now alive. With very little more work eyes might be brightened (only a little, so as not to be shocking or cartoonish) ... there's enough data to define the pupils of the eyes, which will be important to the final product.

Pros know that dark-complected people are typically especially sensitive to skin tone: Coilte skillfully maintained smooth, neutral skin tone and proper contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 12:22 PM

Hi Coilte,
Very well done, would love to see your steps.
W. Rose (Wayne)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Re: Very dark shadow in facial portrait

bad picture, nothing worth savign if it ends up being panted on! People heere have painted the eyes and mouth! A new picture with her facing the sun!

G
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help