Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Very dark shadow in facial portrait

Old 03-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Very dark shadow in facial portrait

I'm using PS CS - and have scanned in a portrait taken by an amateur using available light. The negative is not available. Most of the face is in such deep shadow that I don't think there is any detail there. The owner of the portrait desperately wants a 24x32 "painting" for which I have no intention of charging a cent (he's my best friend and the portrait is of his daughter at her prom).

The rest of the portrait is pretty good. If I could get the color correct on the face and the shadows eliminated (or reduced to an acceptable level), I could easily "knock out" the portrait and place it on a suitable background - then use Genuine Fractals to allow me to make a 24x32 portrait suitable for framing.

BTW, I'm fairly new to using Photoshop - with only rudimentary skills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Candice 11-15-01.jpg (20.5 KB, 215 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2004, 08:36 AM

Nisko, I'm fairly new at this also. In pscs under IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>SHADOW/HIGHLIGHTS, you can get her right eye back. Her left eye is just too dense (black). No pixels to manipulate. Tried curves,levels, different channels. I could not find anything to 'pick up'. Maybe someone with more experience can figure it out. Sorry kiska
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prom copy.jpg (68.1 KB, 128 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2004, 09:04 AM
The left eye is definitely pretty much solid black.

You can get a lot of the detail back through using levels and an overlay layer but you would have to do some cloning it looks like to me to restore any more detail on that area of the face.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2004, 09:49 AM
The JPG quality of this version is far too low to be able to tell if anything can be retreived - if possible can you post a copy with a higher JPG quality. This reduction in quality will have added to the loss of detail.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2004, 03:26 PM
I agree with Christine. You can post a file up to 100K here and the one you posted is only 24K, so there is plenty of scope for posting a higher quality scan. With some more information to work with something may be doable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2004, 03:55 PM
We should perhaps also add that you might try to scan the photo twice. On the second scan you can correct exposure in the scanning software so that you are over-exposing. If there is any detail at all in the dark areas, you may be able to salvage it that way. Then you can combine both scans in Photoshop. DON'T -- touch the scanner between the two scans!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2004, 11:56 AM
With a few other snapshots of this girl (to see what her dark side looks like), a traditional airbrush-retouching artist would be able easily to do a great photorealistic rendition to the dark side on a large print .

You would then copy that retouched print with a relatively low-contrast mid/large negative ( shoot 4X5 and request 1/2 stop "pull" processing), scan the negative and print.

Easy as pie, done traditionally. Of course that assumes actual phototechnical skills and the willingness to charge a fair price...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Hello, this is my first forum post.
Wouldn't that make for an interesting challenge? You could find a picture with a similar problem, and provide another pic of the same person for reference.
Just a tought.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Post Photographic Guestoration

I'm brand spankin new here too. Manipulating the pic instead of restoring it seems to have worked out alright, but i'm sure its not what the original model looked like. I gave her a face but its far from perfect. The size restraints of attachments don't help much either. ah well.
Attached Images
File Type: gif guestoration.gif (99.0 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Prom Pic

The detail you want is in the picture; but your file in this forum is too small to do much with it. Everything comes out pixelated and overdone. It will take some time but with a series of gentle curves and gentle masking techniques to bring out that detail you can accomplish a great deal. I tried to do a bit of dodge with some success but didn't like the way it grayed out the image. She is a beautiful girl. Have you thought about shooting just her face in much the same pose and transporting it to the old pic? At any rate, here is my feeble (and I do mean feeble) attempt at her restoration just to see if it could be done.
I used the series of gentle curves and masking mentioned above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Candice-11-15-01.jpg (99.5 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help