RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

New Member - improving dark cast on photo

Old 03-27-2004, 12:48 AM

I use Elements for retouching - but I do have the free tools available from Richard Lynch's hidden power of Photoshop Elements site http://hiddenelements.com/ as well as his tools from his book (he has a forum here on this site if you want to know more about these tools)

I started off by doing a basic levels adjustment on the image, doing it to the three channels separately. This helped but still left the red cast on the left. I tried masking the right hand side and playing with HSB layers and the color cast tool, just working on that red area - you can either do this masking using grouped layers or by using a layer mask add on from the free hidden power tools.
Still not happy I went to what is fast becoming one of my favorite tools for colour correction targeted at specific areas of an image, when correcting using other methods fails- selective colour (from the free hidden power addons). I removed the red and yellow from the neutrals and whites ie cyan slider to the right, yelow slider to the left, fiddled at the edges.
then increased saturation oversall with HSB and sharpened.
It's still a bit grey on the rhs but not too bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf.jpg (67.6 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2004, 01:49 PM

Hi Flora and all,

I'm reposting part of my "lost post" and will also repost the photos. That is strange what happened!

After editing the photo with Photoimpact I fixed all but the casting on the right side. To fix the casting I selected various sections using the magic wand. I wanted to select as much of the orange section as possible. I then copied and pasted these sections as new images, selected the desired color from the good section of the photo, used the colorize pen to apply it, then copied the image back to the original. The grass sections were kind of different since the selection was sporadic - which was okay because it allowed some of the original grass to peep through. I lassoed the tree section that meets the sky and used the magic eraser to get rid of the rest of the orange. The sign was done the same way - once to select the letters and once to select the wood. The photo still had a shadow on the right side so I used the enhance lighting feature - first on narrow strips of the affected area and later on the whole image. I used the fadeout feature so my lighting would blend with the left half of the picture. The only thing I had to do in Elements was use the dust and scratches filter at the beginning of the editing process.

I still need to work on the sky but I'm going to wait until I edit other photos from that day/event that show the sky bluer so I can try to match the color. I'm assuming I would do a gradient fill to accomplish that.

I'll have to read up on the hidden tools for Elements! Masks are not my favorite thing to do - probably because I haven't taken the time to learn them. You make it sound so easy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcourse1.jpg (44.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg golfcourse3.jpg (49.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2004, 07:24 PM

Hi Mona,

...glad to see your post 'back'!

I think you did a great job with the golf course picture!

I don't know if you can work with Layers with the software you are using ... If 'yes', here is a very simple and fast way to correct a 'blown out' sky...
  • Create a new empty layer on top of everything else and set the blending to 'Multiply'.
  • Use a gradient (as you mentioned already) Foreground Color (of your choice or sampled from a 'better' sky from "other photos from that day/event") to transparent.

Hi Susan,

I think you did very well ... ... it could be my monitor, but now, Green seems the dominant colour in your version....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sky_golfcourse3.jpg (97.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Flora; 03-27-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2004, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi Susan,

I think you did very well ... ... it could be my monitor, but now, Green seems the dominant colour in your version....
Looking at it again I agree - although actually on my screen it's more of a cyan cast than green - I obviously went too far on the reduce red/increase cyan slider! It's funny how an image that looks fine when you've just done it looks not quite so good after a break of a day!

Edit: does this look any better? Same technique - basic levels adjustment to get the overall colour back in line then a masked levels and HSB adjustment to even out the right hand side and then a selective colour to remove the red and yellow form the neutrals and whites to make the sky look better. While it is not as vibrant as the versions that you and Mona did it has the advantage of all being done with adjustment layers - no selection or fancy masking involved. If you have a whole roll of film that is affected the same way it would be a simple matter to copy the same adjustment layers to all the images, to at least give a starting point that could be improve by doing cloning etc for each image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf2.jpg (65.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Susan S.; 03-27-2004 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2004, 12:10 PM

Hi Susan,

I think your picture looks great now! The one small detail (hope you won't hate me .... ) I'd correct, is the lack of saturation on the right side of the picture ....

I also like to avoid making selections whenever possible, and I agree on the fact that, with your technique,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan S.
If you have a whole roll of film that is affected the same way it would be a simple matter to copy the same adjustment layers to all the images, to at least give a starting point that could be improve by doing cloning etc for each image.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help