RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Extremely heavy noise

Old 03-31-2004, 10:10 PM

Hi Diane

When you go to the website I provided, at the end of the first paragraph it says "download it "here". Click on "here" and it will take you to another window. Click on "Open". This will automatically cause PS to open (at least it does with my XP system). Assumuing that this happens for you, the Action should be located at the very bottom of your Actions Palette under heading "ISO". There's different levels up to Super Aggressive that you can try. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 10:33 PM

Hi Duv,

It really couldn't be downloaded on a Mac. This is what I got:

FG ISO Noise Reduction V4Mild.longDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXT OriginallongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTColor EdgelongHd Hide˙˙˙˙nullVlLsobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtlongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj propLyr BckglongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTColorlongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr Md enumBlnMClr longMdn Median˙˙˙˙Rds longlongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTColor MasklongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr Md enumBlnMNrmllongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj nameLyr OriginallongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr Md enumBlnMDfrnlongMrgLMerge LayerslongLvlsLevels˙˙˙˙AdjsVlLsObjcLvlAChnlobj EnmrChnlChnlCmpsInptVlLslonglong€longThrs Threshold˙˙˙˙Lvl long longGsnB
Gaussian Blur˙˙˙˙Rds doub?ŠŁlongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj propChnlfselT obj EnmrChnlChnlRGB longDlt Delete˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtlongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj nameLyr Color EdgelongMk Make˙˙˙˙Nw typeChnlAt obj EnmrChnlChnlMsk UsngenumUsrMRvlSlongFltI
Flatten ImagelongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTBlur HFlongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTBlur LFlongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTEdgelongDstSDust & Scratches˙˙˙˙Rds longThshlonglongMdn Median˙˙˙˙Rds longlongFadeFade˙˙˙˙OpctUntF#Prc@IMd enumBlnMNrmllongFndE
Find EdgeslongGsnB
Gaussian Blur˙˙˙˙Rds doub?ŠŁlongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj nameLyr Blur LFlongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj propChnlfselT obj EnmrChnlChnlRGB longMk Make˙˙˙˙Nw typeChnlAt obj EnmrChnlChnlMsk UsngenumUsrMRvlSlongLvlsLevels˙˙˙˙AdjsVlLsObjcLvlAChnlobj EnmrChnlOrdnTrgtInptVlLslong°long÷Gmm doub?Šˆ™™™™™‰longslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrChnlChnlRGB longDstSDust & Scratches˙˙˙˙Rds longThshlonglongGsnB
Gaussian Blur˙˙˙˙Rds doub@longsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr OpctUntF#Prc@NlongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj nameLyr Blur HFlongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj propChnlfselT obj EnmrChnlChnlRGB longMk Make˙˙˙˙Nw typeChnlAt obj EnmrChnlChnlMsk UsngenumUsrMRvlSlongLvlsLevels˙˙˙˙AdjsVlLsObjcLvlAChnlobj EnmrChnlOrdnTrgtInptVlLslongplong÷Gmm doub?ə™™™™‰longslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrChnlChnlRGB longDstSDust & Scratches˙˙˙˙Rds longThshlonglongGsnB
Gaussian Blur˙˙˙˙Rds doub?ŠŁlongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr OpctUntF#Prc@TlongHd Hide˙˙˙˙nullVlLsobj nameLyr EdgelongFltI
Flatten ImageNormal.longDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXT OriginallongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTColor EdgelongHd Hide˙˙˙˙nullVlLsobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtlongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj propLyr BckglongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTColorlongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr Md enumBlnMClr longMdn Median˙˙˙˙Rds longlongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTColor MasklongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr Md enumBlnMNrmllongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj nameLyr OriginallongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtT ObjcLyr Md enumBlnMDfrnlongMrgLMerge LayerslongLvlsLevels˙˙˙˙AdjsVlLsObjcLvlAChnlobj EnmrChnlChnlCmpsInptVlLslonglong€longThrs Threshold˙˙˙˙Lvl long longGsnB
Gaussian Blur˙˙˙˙Rds doub?ŠŁlongsetdSet˙˙˙˙nullobj propChnlfselT obj EnmrChnlChnlRGB longDlt Delete˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtlongslctSelect˙˙˙˙nullobj nameLyr Color EdgelongMk Make˙˙˙˙Nw typeChnlAt obj EnmrChnlChnlMsk UsngenumUsrMRvlSlongFltI
Flatten ImagelongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTBlur HFlongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTBlur LFlongDplc Duplicate˙˙˙˙nullobj EnmrLyr OrdnTrgtNm TEXTEdgelongDstSDust & Scratches˙˙˙˙Rds longThshlonglongMdn Median˙˙˙˙Rds longlongFadeFade˙˙˙˙OpctUntF#Prc@RŔMd enumBlnMNrmllongFndE
Find EdgeslongGsnB
Gaus
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 10:40 PM

Re: noise reduction tools

Duv,

Wow, I'm really glad you gave a shout and got me to look again at that website. It has some really great info identifying and comparing many of the various noise reduction tools that I didn't scroll down and see earlier!!!

Thank you very much!
Diane

Last edited by dipech; 03-31-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2004, 02:13 AM

Hi Diane, Duv,

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Diane,

Much, much better ..... you are really on the right track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipech
Flora,
In the best version I posted above, I used the dust and scratches filter and then a layer mask which ended up with it losing detail and getting a bit blurry as you mentioned above. Then when I sharpened with the high pass filter, the damage kept coming back!
Dust&Scratches is what I used to remove most of the noise in your picture.
  • I tend to start with the lowest Radius value and gradually increase until all, or most of the noise has disappeared.
  • I, then, gradually increase the Treshold to bring some details back.
  • If necessary, I add a little noise.
  • I add a Layer Mask (hide all) to the D&S Layer and, with a soft white brush (adjusting its Opacity), I paint over the black Mask to reveal the corrected parts.
  • If possible, I tend to avoid the eyes/nose/mouth parts as not to lose their sharpness.

Quote:
Do you always recommend adjusting the levels in channels rather than using auto contrast, auto color or the general levels adjustments??
... I'm sure that auto contrast works very well, but I rather use Levels or Curves as they give me more control on what I'm doing....

Quote:
What steps would you recommend to finish up from the post below?
  • D&S for noise removal.
  • Curves or Levels or .... two Shadow Masks (Blending=Screen and Soft Light) to lift the shadows.
  • Selective Colors to adjust the colours.
  • All the layers necessary to finish the restoration .... (Lighten, Darken, Color .... you name it...)
  • Sharpening as last step.

Duv,

Thank you for the Link! .... I've downloaded the action ... I'll let you know after I've tried it....

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2004, 08:39 AM

Wow Di!! I hope you didn't have to type that out!! Sorry that one didn't work. Here another site that may help http://www.sportsshooter.com/message....html?tid=6898

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2004, 05:35 PM

Smile

Flora,

Thank you, thank you, thank you once again!! I feel very blessed having you around and for being so very helpful!

Just wondering about what you wrote:

* All the layers necessary to finish the restoration .... (Lighten, Darken, Color .... you name it...)

and how do you add noise??

Duv,

Thank you very very much for the second website above! It looks extremely helpful. I was able to see the first website; I just couldn't download the "action." What is an action anyway?

Best regards,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 AM

Hi Diane,

sorry for being so late in answering.... and thank you so much for your kind words!!

Quote:
Flora,
Just wondering about what you wrote:

* All the layers necessary to finish the restoration .... (Lighten, Darken, Color .... you name it...)
What I meant by that is creating several empty layers along the way, changing their blending to "(Lighten, Darken, Color .... you name it...)" depending on the kind of correction I think I have to do.... Since this is my standard procedure for working on a picture, I summarized it that way for fear of becoming ripetitive .....

Quote:
...and how do you add noise??
Filter > Noise > Add Noise.
Used like this, it adds noise to the whole picture ....
If you want to do it on parts of the image only, you have to select them first ...
You can also add noise to whatever correction Layer you worked on by Ctrl+Click on it to select it, and then follow the 'Add Noise' procedure
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help