RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Hello Everyone...I'm new and need help...

Old 04-06-2004, 06:21 AM

Other questions...

Well, let me provide you guys with a status on what I did yday evening. I learned how to use the levels by moving the tiny
triangles. Sure made a difference in the lighting. Now how do you know went to stop???...I guess is all in the eye.

I also learned on how to duplicate my background (the picture, which makes a copy of the original, right?), but don't know
why I had to do that. Duv, you mentioned I should start with the duplication and then play with the levels, why the
duplication of the image?

Flora, I kind of grasped the technique for contrast mask, but not entirely. I followed your first 3 bullet points, took me
a while to find the Layer Blending to Overlay (or Soft Light)...(I wasn't kidding when I said I was an idiot with PS), and then
I applied the Levels to the new layer. So far so good...then it went downhill. I couldn't get the last 3 bullet points.

I also tried the changing of the background and couldn't find the "Master"...see 2nd bullet point below "open hue&saturation"
adjustment layer. So I could'nt continue.

Boy did I learn so much with you guys. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I also stopped by Border's book store to pick up a book, but they didn't have the Katrin E's book so I ordered it from
Amazon, I also ordered the Scott K. book.
Just need to save a couple of more $$$ and will order the videos that Noelf suggested. I'm very serious in learning PS, so
anything you guys suggest I take it serious.

BTW...I took 15 shots of the lady in nude and all turned out underexposed (one of the strobes must have not kicked in, hate
the damn sync cord) is there anyway I can modify all ten in one shot or is that not recommended?

Also, what is the best way to use USM? Say if I want to sharpen the entire image and/or just the eyes (or certain portion
of the image).

You all have been very helpful and believe me when I say that I am very grateful for that.

Chau!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2004, 09:10 AM

Hi Gracia

I'm glad you ordered Katrin's book. You'll learn a tremendous amount. As to duplicating the background, Katrin says "Background layer: This is your original data and should be treated as carefully as your original prints or film. Never, ever retouch directly on the Background layer." As you get into the books, you'll learn an awful lot more about sensible retouching workflow.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2004, 08:49 PM

Help I am new toooo!

Does any one know how to put a border around a photo or art wpork or anything (canvas) in Photoshop???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Hi Graciaundefined

I'm glad you ordered Katrin's book. You'll learn a tremendous amount. As to duplicating the background, Katrin says "Background layer: This is your original data and should be treated as carefully as your original prints or film. Never, ever retouch directly on the Background layer." As you get into the books, you'll learn an awful lot more about sensible retouching workflow.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2004, 09:30 PM

Hi Beth...hope this helps

I don't know much about anything in PS but this was passed over to me by a member.

In Photoshop: For FRAMING

After finalizing the image and Resize (not obligated though)
Go on the tool bar on the left side and make sure you got one black color and one white color (you can actually experiment with other colors as well)
Using the black color, go to the menu image/canvas size and select pixel add 5 to 8 pixel wide and height. Switch color to white and do the same process with 50 more pixels wide and height then, select the magic wand tool and select the white portion (in the frame only)
Go to filters, select blur/gaussian blur (to desired effect usually 10%) and apply it. Apply it again to have more effect. Unselect the white portion and voila ...

Hopefully someone else might provide a better way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 02:32 PM

Hi Gracia, Beth,

Beth,

I'm sure there are many more, but researching for 'Frame' here at RP lead me here where I found a couple of links .... Worth a look .....

Gracia,

While waiting for your books on Photoshop, you can visit this site ... All the 'Photoshop basics' and much much more are very clearly explained ..... I spent a lot of time there at the beginning when even the word 'Layer' confused me .....

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 02:37 PM

Smile Thank you Flora

Really appreciate your help and guidance. I'll be taking a look at that website tonight. Hope to get my books tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help