Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

What should I do?

Old 04-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Question What should I do?

I would like this image to have a better look. (I know it's a poor image) but it means so much to me How can I give a dreamy look? (you know that professional wedding look) Can some of the experts give me an idea how to start? I also included a zip file with the original if anybody wants to play around with it........

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by 717Newbie; 04-29-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 05:59 AM
Hi 717Newbie,

Welcome to RP!

I'm not artistically oriented, and I know that, here, there are many who could do magic things with your picture .....

...But just to get an indication of your idea of "dreamy look? (you know that professional wedding look)" .... is this more or less what you had in mind?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newbiehelp1.jpg (95.3 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 07:11 AM
It kind of depends what you meant by "that professional wedding look"...

I started - purely based on personal experience - from the point of view that for wedding shots you generally want to keep the existing background since you spent hours obsessing over the details of the setting when planning the wedding (extracting onto a different background, as Flora has done, is definitely another way to go if you aren't bothered about the existing setting). In the photo as taken the bright red curtain and the green 7-Up bottle were distracting attention from the bridal couple because of their colour, so I got rid of those (an alternative might have been to throw the background into monochrome). A couple of the chairs are kind of distracting with their position too, but it would be a big job to remove those seamlessly so I left them (if you had other pictures of the area, that might make it easier to remove the chairs).

Next I reduced the harsh shadows to make the photograph look like it was taken with a more diffuse light source - that automatically softens the overall feel quite a bit.

Then I played around with Xero's Radiance and SoftMood filters, plus a little Gaussian Blur, layered over each other in different blend modes, and copied back in some of the detail of the white dress which had got blown out a bit with the various filters. And I used Levels to darken the background slightly to focus attention on the couple.

If this does happen to be what you're looking for I worked on the original and have it saved at that size too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helps-copy.jpg (97.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Leah; 04-16-2004 at 07:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 08:52 AM
I thought by darkening the edges and warming the tones, it would provide a dreamier more intimate setting. Used Gothic Glow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Wedding.jpg (54.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 01:55 PM
"Professional look"... hm, I am not very experienced with marrying pictures...

Anyway, to give it a smoother look, I duplicated the layer, applied a gaussian blur (9 pixel) and masked the new layer, so it does not kill the details.
Set the layer to "lighten" mode and set oppacity to 52%.

Hope it comes near to what you want to achieve?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helps2.jpg (20.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your ideas........ I know that everybody have so much talent THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I CAME HERE!

Thank you again.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Another option is to replace the background. This was a quick attempt to show you the difference a new background can make. With a little time and by experimenting with different levels of blurring you can really create a romantic photo.

Soft Focus Images:

1. Select and replace background (optional)
2. Create a duplicate layer
3. Apply guasssian blur to the duplicate layer. You will have to experiment with the radius to determine how much blurring you want. A smaller radius number results in less blur in the image. If you click on the “Preview” checkbox, you can see the changes as you move the radius slide.
4. Determine the final amount of soft focus. On the duplicate layer lower the opacity to your desired amount. The lower the opacity the more of the original sharp image will be revealed. You should set the slide to whatever looks good to your eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wed4.jpg (98.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by T Paul; 04-17-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help