Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Scanning/copying large prints

Old 04-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Talk about making work for yourself

I would by all means find a digital camera that will produce a file of the size you need. If you do not have one, see if one of your local photo studios could produce the file for you. If you figure what your time is worth (on a per hour basis) you would most likely save money by doing it this way.

The second best way is the film camera and scan the neg.

Ya, I know that you could do it in sections, put them together in PS, do all the work to make it match, and when it comes out looking pretty good, you can be proud of yourself.

But just because it can be done, is that a good reason to do it??????
If you are doing this to make a living, time is money. If its a hobby and you are just beating your head on the wall to find out how good it feels when you stop, then go ahead...........

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Actually, since I live outside of town it would take me more time to drive to a lab, drop off the photo and drive back than it would for me to scan the photo in 4-6 pieces and stitch them together (not to mention the return trip to the lab to pick up the digital image.) Same problem with using a film camera, since I'd have to get the film developed.

So that leaves a digital camera. Yes, I've used my 5MP digicam to get photos into digital format, but I feel I get better results scanning (unless the image is heavily textured). And since I do a lot of scanning of 12x12 images (in 4 pieces), I've gotten really fast at stitching. Hence that's my preferred method these days.

To each his own.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2004, 01:03 AM
A camera has geometrical distortion

Good excuse, "feel like typing"

A digital camera can be an excellent "scanner" if you can do it all in one piece, but unlike a scanner, a digital camera (or any camera) will always have barrel or pincushion distortion, unless you're at that magical focal length where everything is right. So that's also one concern.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2004, 06:02 AM

I think Rexx and Jeaniesa have valid points. As Rexx has suggested, I've not had much luck stitching digital copy photos together because of optical distortions. A perfect flat-field lens on a digital camera is not a common thing.

And using a digital camera to copy a large image in one fell swoop may result in a digital image with resolution less than that achieved by scanning in pieces.

Janiesa seems to have good experience in this area. It's a problem many of us face at one time or another. Might I suggest a tutorial? I'd be willing to create one with Janiesa's help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by ExclamPt
Might I suggest a tutorial? I'd be willing to create one with Janiesa's help.
Now that's one great offer! Anxiously waiting
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help