Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I'm new and I need HELP

Old 04-21-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm new and I need HELP

Hi, I'm Karyn and I joined yesterday. I am trying to fix an old photo of my grandparents as a gift for my mother. This is the only photo my family has and as you can see it needs help. I have been using Photoshop 7 for about a month and this is my first restoration attempt. I have read and tried many tutorials, and find your site wonderful. My problem is the yellow splotches found all over the picture. What is the best way to deal with them? I am looking forward to your advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi Karyn, welcome to RP. As your image is b&w, loss of colour is not too much of an issue. Look at the individual RGB channels, and you find that the yellow blotches are not such a problem in the blue channel, this suggests it would be a good place to start. Select blue channel, and convert to greyscale. The sepia tone of the original can be added back after you've finished your retouch. Hope this helps you get started. Good look with you photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Or, you could use a hue/saturation adjustment layer)at the bottom of the layers palette). Drag the saturation slider all the way to the left, -100. This will get rid of the yellow. Good luck, it's a nasty one.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I agree with Gary that the Blue Channel converted to Greyscale seems to come out pretty good. You may want to try a Curves adjustment layer to improve contrast and then use a brush set to darken and a very low opacity ie 4 to 7 and paint over the splotches. The key is to paint slowly at low opacity. If you go too far, change from black to white and paint over. Also using the blur tool can help even things out even more and smooth out the faces and hands.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2004, 12:37 AM

I've been wondering how to do this too. Channels - so that's what they are for

As suggested I grabbed the blue channel and converted the image mode to greyscale.

I used levels and unsharpen mask to make the image less contrasty and bring out more detail.

Using the magic wand with a tolerance around 12 I selected the harsher spots and used either levels or curves to bring the brightness to match the material. I did feather by one pixel to prevent a hard transition.

My next attempt to smooth out the 'whites was to burn the 'highlights' down so the detail would stay. Cloning is nice on textures but I didn't want to loose the detail of the pin stripped pants.

The sky in the top right corner is going to take some time.

I spent 20 minutes and a big improvment. Good luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandparents-wedding-photo-test.jpg (48.0 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think you are right in using the blue channel. I had been trying to fix the yellow by using "Selective Colour" and was getting very frustrated. I'm going to try all the new ideas tonight. Thanks, Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2004, 05:19 AM
Hi Karyn,

Welcome to RP!

Like everybody else, I started with the Blue Channel, which I used combined with the Green one.
The Blue Channel was the one with the most details and where the spots are less evident ... but it was a bit too dark... so, I did the following:
  • Activated the Blue Channel, selected it (Ctrl+A), copied it (Ctrl+C) ...
  • back to the Layers Palette pasted it (Ctrl+V) on top of the Background Layer.
  • Repeated the procedure with the Green Channel which I palced on top of the Blue one.
  • Adjusted the Opacity of the pasted Green Channel and created a (white = Reval All) Layer Mask for it.
  • Working on the Layer Mask, with a soft Black Brush (Opacity 40-60%), I carefully painted over the lighter spots to reveal the darker details of the underlying Blue Channel.

The rest was Cloning, Healing, Blurring, Sharpening, Layer via Copy ....

I agree with Kiska "'s a nasty one..." ... fixing this picture will be a real 'labour of love'....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_grandparentsWed.jpg (99.4 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help