RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Any collage mavens out there?

Old 04-30-2004, 10:32 PM

looks good

good one Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2004, 10:43 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Roger and rondon,

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't looking for kudos. Just trying to give an alternative way of making a collage.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2004, 03:33 PM

Roger, loved the work. What on earth does kitty corner mean, it's not a phrase used this side of the pond.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 01:52 AM

Thanks Gary, Kitty Corner = opposite corner, but used more often in the relation of two objects to each other without regards to the space around them as in 'my house is kitty corner to George's house' (accross the street and over at an angle or could be on the diagonal corner if my house is on the corner) loosly - at an angle

searched and found this definition on the web
Quote:
kitty-corner

adj : slanted across a polygon on a diagonal line; "set off in a catty-corner direction across the vacant lot"
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 02:26 AM

Thanks very much for the explanation, I guess this is a classic example of two nations seperated by a common language.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 10:11 AM

yup!

I guess this is a classic example of two nations seperated by a common language.

Just as "Bloody well right" means the well on the right which the wounded animal fell into here in the colony !
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 AM

Roger,

Hope I didn't offend you re my comment about the cost of the 11x14 print. I have found that when customers are really happy with their collage, they do buy multiple copies and good pricing helps.

Ed,

I'm curious how you used layer masks to put everything together??

Here is a collage I made for my brother, for his last birthday. He really loved it. (That's me on the left side, second row from bottom). Starting at the bottom left corner, I tried to show the story of his life: studying in grad school, graduating med school, getting engaged, getting married, his first child, etc...

It looks pretty simple, but it involved quite alot of resizing and cropping of pictures until I could get everything to fit together. Wish I'd known about Ed's layer mask technique back then...

Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP-David's B day coll#885BF.jpg (98.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by dipech; 05-02-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 07:51 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Diane,

Layer masks are simple things to use. Basically, I just put each picture on it's own layer and make a layer mask. Then I reduce the opacity until I can see the underlying image easily. That's usually around 50% or so. At that time, I just use a large, soft brush (unless a smaller or harder brush is called for), and paint with black to "erase" parts of the image I want to get rid of. When I'm satisfied, I return the layer to 100% (in most cases). I've found it usually works well if you use the *brush* at very low opacity, around 5% - 10% for starters. Then increase the opacity as needed to speed things up. I have better luck doing a little at a time with lower opacity than to use a higher opacity (on most things). It seems to give a little more control and evenness. If you paint away too much, just repaint on that part with white. The image will return. Be sure you have clicked on the layer mask to make it active before painting. You can even modify it tomorrow, or 6 months from now. If you don't understand this, please say so. I'll be glad to explain more, or someone else will jump in. I think your collage looks pretty darned good.

Ed

Last edited by Ed_L; 05-02-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 08:58 PM

Diane,

No offense at all. I am a photographer with many friends/associates in my area who paint the whole possible range of pricing structures and 'how they do things', and I see them all work. I don't think people really care how we do things, they do care that it makes sense, that they feel like their best interest is at heart and what the total bill comes to. But the logistics of whether art work is $175 and the print is $25 or art work is $125 and the print is $75 ... they just trust us for figuring out what it takes for us to make a living. Then they look at the total of our quote for what they want and decide whether it is worth it to them. Bottom line, do what ever you are comfortable with, I was only responding to your question of how we could charge $70 for an 11x14.

I have sold images on a CD ($15 for the CD) and the customer has gone elsewhere to print, but if we are going to be responsible for managing the image through to the finish, then the prices we charge are for that service. We are not selling that piece of 11x14 paper, we are selling the service of managing and providing that piece of 11x14 paper with the trust that the image on it is done as good as possible. If not, we will pay to redo it before the customer ever sees it - and they do not have to worry about knowing if it is as good as possible.

Sorry if I am straying, pulling in the reigns ....

Good job on the collage for your brother. Layers is def. the way to go. If you do a selection with one of the selection tools like the marcee tool, then type control-delete, you will fill the selection with your background color, so ...

-make your selection
-click on the layers mask to select it
-type control-shift-I to invert your selection
-type control-delete (with black as your background color) to fill with black
-you can un-link the mask from the layer to move it around using the move tool to change what the mask is hideing
-if you want to change the size of the mask with out changing the size of the image on the layer, select the mask (make sure that the mask is unlinked from the layer, type Control-T to use free transform (make sure the layer isn't locked), then re-size or reshape mask as desired.
-want to feather the mask, use gaussian blur or one of the filters on the mask ... want to change the brightness? use levels or curves on the mask.

Sorry for such a long post
Best Regards,
Roger

Last edited by roger_ele; 05-03-2004 at 12:29 AM. Reason: edited to insert dropped words for clarity
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 09:58 AM

Roger,

Thanks very much for your note and the info on the layer masks. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but this looks very helpful!

Re what you wrote: "... we are selling the service of managing and providing that piece of 11x14 paper with the trust that the image on it is done as good as possible. If not, we will pay to redo it before the customer ever sees it - and they do not have to worry about knowing if it is as good as possible."

This is a very good point. I just had a 16x20 print made up for someone and somehow, even though I've only taken it out of the tube it's rolled up in twice, a small area at one of the edges got lightly damaged apparently as I was last putting it back in the tube and now it will need to be redone...

Best regards,
Diane
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help