RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Water Damaged photos

Old 05-03-2004, 11:00 PM

Flora...

I was surprised to see what happens when you inverted the copied layer and then changed the blending mode to soft light. Can you explain what is going on with that? What is soft light blending mode doing to the picture after inverting it (which looked like a negative image before soft light was applied)?
And if you dont mind explaining, why did you choose to go about it this way as opposed to some other way?

I know its a few questions, but thanks for any explanation you can give me.

...cedwar
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 PM

Okay Flora, I have a question here....... Today I am going to try my best to work on this gift....... Hmmmmm, maybe I should shower first......

Okay I need to focus

I followed your instructions (thank you VERY much), my question is did you hand color anything? Because I can not get the top of my hair to match the bottom colors. The top seems to be so dark with speckles still (that was even after despeckling and dust and sc ratch removal.) My mom's skintone looks so natural and even. Now if you tell me you got those tones just from the color adjustments I may just break down and cry............

When using the patch tool, this is what is happening. I am taking a dark area and selecting it. I have moved the dark selected area to a light (to patch the dark area with a light area) and all it is doing is lightening the area just a bit. Even using the clone tool, all it does is lighten the dark area just a bit (not enough to make a differance). Is there a step that I missed? Something that I may be doing wrong? I am loosing it here...... Maybe I am thinking too hard about it. Maybe it is frusterating that something you did in a few minutes looks a million times better than something I have been trying to do for several day. Okay back to photoshop........ She may get this present next Mother's Day, but darn it, she will get it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggee
Maybe it is frusterating that something you did in a few minutes looks a million times better than something I have been trying to do for several day
Don't be disheartened - Flora is definitely the best I have ever seen at this kind of job and trying to get even close to the results she achieves is an ongoing process for most of us here. If you think you are learning and getting better, that's the main thing, and eventually you'll have a present for your mother of wich you can be truly proud...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 01:54 PM

Thanks Leah

I have the same issues with photography. I see some amazing work out there and wonder why I can't get pictures of my kids to look as good, then I realize that most photographers take 30-40 pictures of that child and pose to get that one good one

I guess it is part of the "I want now" syndrome. I wanted to do something unique and different for Mother's Day, and even though I am a stay at home mom I still don't have the time to work on it like I need too. Even with the kids being 9, 11,11,11 and 13, they still want "mommy's" attention all the time.

Well I have showered, feeling clean. Here I go for another try at it

I am wondering if it would be easier to clean it up, desaturate it and recolor it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 03:18 PM

Wow... Leah, Ed,

thank you so much for your words and kindness!!!!!

Cedwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwar
Can you explain what is going on with that? What is soft light blending mode doing to the picture after inverting it (which looked like a negative image before soft light was applied)?
And if you dont mind explaining, why did you choose to go about it this way as opposed to some other way?
The procedure is part of the 'contrast mask' technique and, sometimes, I use it as a 'softer' alternative to the 'Fill Flash' (Katrin Eismann).... I actually use it to balance the contrast between lights and shadows ... meaning toning down the highlights and lifting up the shadows in a picture.

The trick is 'playing' with the blendings .... When the Blending is 'Normal' you only see the top Layer as it is, (everything underneath remains hidden by it) ... As soon as you change the Blending (Multiply, Color Dodge, Soft Light, Overlay ..... etc.), the top Layer 'interacts' with the underlying Layer in the 'blending' specific way ...
So, like in this case, as soon as I changed the Blending to Soft Light, the top Layer which up to now looked like a 'negative', 'blended' in with the underlying coloured Layer producing a combination of the two which may or may not look 'muddy' until you adjust its Opacity ....

Froggee

Wow... first of all congratulations for your Family!!! (triplets?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggee
Now if you tell me you got those tones just from the color adjustments I may just break down and cry............
....Don't cry .... I didn't get them 'just from the color adjustment' ....
As for everything with Photoshop, there are many ways to correct that, but what I did here is the following:
  • Created a new empty Layer on top and set its blending to 'Color'.
  • Using a very soft brush (Opacity = 50-60%), keeping the Alt key pressed, (the cursor turns into a color picker), I sampled 'good' colour from your hair (close to your cheek), and carefully painted over the dark top of your and your Mom's hair.

As for the Patch Tool (just like the Healing Brush) ...You are not doing anything wrong... it just takes a while to get the hang of it .... just be careful to avoid getting too close to the borders of high contrast areas (better corrected with the Clone Tool) and, unless you use it on large 'flat' areas, try to sample from 'good' parts as close as possible to the damage ....

Speaking of Clone Tool .... Check that the 'Mode' (on the top Toolbar) is set to 'Normal', make sure you have a high Opacity (80-100%) and Flow (100%) and that the 'Use all Layers' box is checked.... I usually use a hard to semi-hard edge brush for cloning ....if the edges get too harsh, you can always correct them with the Patch Tool or Healing Brush.

Hope this helped ... and please....don't hesitate to contact me if you think I could help more..

Last edited by Flora; 05-04-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 04:01 PM

Flora,

Okay I have stared for hours and now I think tears of frusteration are setting in. Here I am looking over and over at this amazing job you did and thinking to myself..... "I have been fairly good in photoshop with logo designs and manipulation and editing of recent digital photos" Why can I not get this?

You pulled out amazing color. I actually dumped the photo the other day thinking I could never make it look good, but chose it because it was a photo of my mom and me. Then you show me that it can be done and hope is back.
So after hours of staring and thinking and patching, even did the coloring that you suggested to bring back the color. I am even failing with that. I can not seem to get the amazing colors that you were able to pull out of that photo. My hair is a great yellow and not so dark on the top, mom has amazing highlights in her hair, and both our skin tones look great..... I seem to get a washed out image, still very dark in areas that I would like lighter (as you managed to accomplish).

I am so greatful for the help you have offered thus far. I wouldn't still be here looking at this photo if not for you The determination to get a personal gift to my mom this Sunday is even stronger. I really want something more than the generic card and gift certificate......

Well off to get the kids from school. BTW, the kids are not triplets, I don't think I could have managed infant triplets We are in the process of adopting twin boys that are a month younger than our 11 year old daughter. My husband and I have 3 girls, Kristin 14, Kelli 11 and Kaitlyn 9. We have had the boys now for about 2 1/2 years. They are currently children of the state. We have them because I knew them and saw where they live and what they came from. Abandoned crack houses, dumpster food, physically, sexually and emotional abused. I still can't believe what they lived in. We tried for a few years to just bring them to our home on weekends, give them clothes and gifts but it didn't help, the toys and clothes where just being traded and/or sold for drugs......
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 05:05 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I hope at some time in their lives, they realize how lucky they were to have someone like you and your husband get involved. The world needs more people like you. God bless you.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 05:35 PM

Thanks

There are days that I question my sanity..... More so than not................

Especially now when I want so bad to do something and yet I can't get a peaceful moment to think....... My best friend just dropped off her 3 along with my 5 + my afterschool daycare kid in the afternoons. Believe it or not it is not my friend's 2 year old son, not even her 4 year old son that is driving to the end, it is her 9 year old son that is taking me on a monarail ride to the insane asylum The kid is just sitting in my daughters room screaming through the house because the Gamecube isn't working...... I don't think a child has passed over yet from not being able to play a video game on demand............

Okay I really need to focus on this photo, or I am just going to be the "other" daughter that sent a card........ Because I am not going to get the kudo's for the nice *Pro* looking portrait picture I took of my pregger sister and her hubby
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 06:12 PM

A few things

One, photo restoration is a speciality in photoshop. It definitely takes a lot of practice and deep understanding of photoshop manipulation. So don't be discouraged that you aren't seeing the results that you might want early. It takes a lot of practice to reach really successful levels.

Two, the photo you have there, is probably one of the more difficult photos I've seen come through here in the recent few months. So make sure you realize you are also dealing with a very complex restoration there

Photos as a whole are also one of the more difficult things to manipulate. When you make a logo, you can say "yep, it's green and red". But you know what a person should look like, and you know that a person shouldn't be green in a photo, so it makes it more difficult to make everything "fit" into what your mind is expecting to see!

I would definitely recommend continuing doing the restorations, they are a lot of fun to work with! Keep reading tutorials, and always make sure to ask for help here, even if it is a smaller issue. Sometimes it is the smallest issues that can make or break a restoration.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 06:50 PM

Thank you Noelf......

I have a question. Do you know why it is if I select a shadowed area and patch over it with a lighter area the end result is a lighter shadowed area?

This patch tool and I are definetly going around and around. I found that if I do the color adjustments first then when I attempt to patch or clone to an area it clones the lighting but not the mark that is there...........
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help