RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Water Damaged photos

Old 05-02-2004, 06:58 PM

Question Water Damaged photos

Okay it seemed like a good idea at the moment....... The first 6 years of my life can be summed up 2 ziploc sandwich baggies at the moment. See when I was younger my childhood photos fell victim to a leak in the roof which happened to be in the closet...... My idea..... For Mother's Day to take those photos scan them all in (which I did), try me best at retouching them and put them together in a slide show with a song that I somehow remembered making my mom play over and over when I was about 3 or 4 (I don't think she knows I even remember the song). Well here I am checking out websites and come across what I think is a godsend. I can not believe I didn't find this site earlier....... So I have attached a unedited scan of a photo. One I was hoping to not only fix, but color tint, enlarge and frame for her. Is there hope or am I chasing my tail on this one? I have not quite got the hang of the clone stamp thing, I think I am missing something. I have seen photos where a trailer has been cut out of the background and when I try it, it looks like little circles of unmatched dirt even though I took the clone from the dirt directly next to the trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wendyandmom copy.jpg (99.6 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 07:21 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi, is it Wendy?

You came to the right place! We have a lot of pros who can help you. You didn't mention which program you were using, but if you're using Photoshop 7 or higher, you can probably do better with the patch tool than with the rubber stamp. I just did this very quickly, taking a total of about 10 seconds. It still would need to be refined more, but it's a good start on the damage. No time to do any more at this time, but others will surely jump in on this.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (99.2 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 08:00 PM

Smile

Thank you so very much for your help. You got further in 10 seconds than I have in the last hour

I guess it is showing that I am very green behind the ears

I am using photoshop CS (a gift from hubby that I am just wanting to get the most out of).

Off to learn the "patch tool"
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 08:26 PM

One more question........ The patch tool, is there a way that I can choose something other than pattern to patch it with? There are some areas of my face that become blurred when I use a pattern. I have tried most if not all of the patterns......... I was hopping that I could just patch it in with a color
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2004, 01:31 AM

Hi Froggee, welcome to RetouchPro!

Don't worry so much about texture, you can bring that back in, worry more about brightness and color. The patch tool and the clone/rubber stamp tool are both wonderfull tools - be sure to look at and experiment with them both.

To get the best quick start I would recommend this book:

http://www.retouchpro.com/reviews/ce...tails&itemid=3

It is the best and will get you going as quick as possible. We are very willing to help, but we might add some confusion by skipping around - you are starting from the basics. A lot of Photoshop is simple - but so ambiguos in its own way - because it is not a system for image manipulation, it is a toolbox for image manipulation - and you now what kind of variety woodworkers can get out of their tools ... each tool in the tool box can take a little learning.

Regarding clone tool -- little circles;
-Make sure the clone/rubber stamp tool is selected. On the tool options bar (right under the menu at the top normally) you will see the word Brush:, to the right of which is the size and picture of the brush you are using, click on that picture and change the hardness to 0. THis will soften the edges of the circles. Then change the opacity of the brush (same tool option bar) to whatever lower amount allows you to control your work. Think ligher touch and working from the darkside and from the light side of the same spot to get a natural gradation. You can aslo get to more complicated brush controls via the menu item Windows>Brushes.

Regarding the Patch tool - don't use a pattern. Click and drag around the area you want to patch. Then click in the middle of the selected area and drag it to another area. Try this with Source selected and with Destination selected and you will figure it out. Also try this with Trasparent checked and un-checked.

Have Fun!
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 AM

Hi Froggee,

Welcome to RP!

Ed and Roger pointed you in the right direction with their excellent tips!

Starting to work with Photoshop, and feeling hopelessly lost with this "toolbox for image manipulation" as Roger described perfectly , I found great help here ... where, specially in the Basics Section, you can find descriptions, snapshots etc. of all the tools available and how to use them. They use Photoshop 7, but, in my opinion, a great starting point!

I had a quick go at your picture, which can be salvaged (with painstaking labour of love .... ) .... As long as you have details to work on, copy, clone or correct, you are never " chasing your tail" and your picture has plenty of details.

A 'vital' tip:

Never work on the original .... always duplicate your image and work on the duplicate.

With your picture, I started by correcting colour and brightness/tone as Roger suggested already. What I did is the following:
  • Duplicated the background Layer by *clicking on it and dragging it on the 'Create New Layer' button at the bottom of your Layers Palette*. (I always do this to have immediate comparison after having made some changes).
  • Clicked on the Channels Tab to work on the Channels individually.
  • Clicked on the Blue Channel which gave me a very dark B&W version of the image. (Clicking on the "~" key, enables you to go back to the composite view while still working on the Blue Channel only (the only one highlighted).
  • Press Ctrl+L to open the Levels dialog box and move left and right sliders torward the centre until you reach the very beginning of your 'histogram' peak on both sides. (don't worry if this leads to a terrible color ... we'll fix that!)
  • Click OK.
  • Repeat the same procedure with Green and Red Channels .... (If the image gets too dark or light in the process, very carefully move the Middle slider)
Now, the overall Colour should be much better and the picture much brighter too.
If, at this point, the contrast Shadows/Light is too strong, there are many ways to correct this, but here, I did the following:
  • Duplicated the Levels corrected Layer (*...*), pressed Ctrl+Shift+U to desaturate it completely, pressed Ctrl+I to invert it, changed the 'Blending' to 'Soft Light' (little down pointing arrow beside the 'Normal' on the Layers Palette...scroll down the menu...) and changed the Opacity of the Layer (around 50%), until the image wasn't 'muddy' anymore, but lights and shadows were more balanced.

This gave me the starting point for the restoration.

The rest of the restoration consisted of cleaning up the picture using Clone and Patch Tools, enhancing individual details using different Layers playing with Blendings and Opacity and lightly sharpening the image using Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask.

Hope this helps ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_wendyandmom.jpg (95.6 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2004, 09:35 AM

Thank you guys for your help and advice. I know being a newbie here and having this my first post, I should have given a little more info on myself and use of photoshop.... First I sent a link to hubby about the retouching book yesterday in hopes that it will find its way to me on Mother's Day Second, I have been tinkering in photoshop for about 2 years on and off. Never really sat down to "learn" everything though. Up to this point I have done some basic work on family photos that i have taken with my digital (a Fuji S2), but that sort of work has just been basic sharpening, color enhancing and even some things I learned from Down and Dirty Trick by Scott Kelby and The Digital Photographers Workbook by Simon Joinson. I have made a few company logos for our bussiness using instructions and ideas off various websites.

So basically what I know of photoshop is the tools, where they are and how to follow instructions

Hubby bought me photoshop CS because he knew that I fell in love with the photo filters and the highlight and shawdow option when I was using my 30 day trial

Flora, you did and amazing job and gave me hope that it can be done. I figured out the patch tool last night. The dragging the selected area and cloning from somewhere else. I felt sort of good when I saw the post on here this morning from Roger_ele suggesting the same thing
I did fight with coloring and found that the despeckle tool and the dust and scratch tool worked a bit. I did give up and move to another photo of just me when I started to feel that I would never be able to get a good color into the photo. But Flora you have given me hope...... Since I have finished the Logo for hubby and all my kids are in school, I am going to take advantage of being a "stay at home mom" and work on this photo today. I am sure the house will live if it is not vacuumed today right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2004, 10:13 AM

Hi Froggee,

thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggee
...gave me hope that it can be done.
...So glad to hear it because that was exactly what I wished ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggee
I am sure the house will live if it is not vacuumed today right?
I couldn't agree more!!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm a little late getting back here. If you go to http://russellbrown.com/body.html , you will find some quick time movies that are pretty good at getting people going on things. There is a movie on the healing brush, and another on the patch tool that might prove interesting to you. It's something to get you going with a few good tips. Have fun. Flora is a restoration godess. Few of us can compare to her, and I'm not even on the same planet! Roger is also very good, and he offers a lot of help.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2004, 09:08 PM

In my short 24 hours here on this list I have to agree, what she was able to pull out of my baby photo in a few minutes to show me it can be done was amazing. Of course my day didn't go as planned. I had hoped to take advantage of that whole "Stay at Home Mom" title. Only our 9 year old stayed home sick (she was donating to the Movie Theater restroom on her knees Well last night she comes to me and says "Mom I am SOOO sorry, I forgot to tell you about my famous person report" then hands me the paper that tells how she is to dress up a doll, read a book on her person "Sir Francis Drake" and write a one page report on him. And it gave her a MONTH to do it. So me, being the mom of all moms, does some quick reading on the net, helps her put out a report, takes her to the craft store for $10 of fabric and buttons to dress a paper doll. Then off for printer ink, pet store for batteries for the trainer collar (the dog will not stop barking at night). Needless to say, here it is 7pm and I have gotten nowhere on my photo and my kids just ate cereal for dinner........

Let's see if I can get somewhere. So far I am patching still..... Only hubby called and said he is on his way home, so I guess I am loosing the puter for the night
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help