RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

pre-emptive strike

Old 10-14-2001, 09:58 AM

pre-emptive strike

thought i'd ask for help before i get in way deep in time and frustration

have here two pix, son-in-law and daughter, want to combne as first anniv. gift; i am less than an hour into it, and can see it might be harder than i thought; specially wonder how i should handle the lighting; he was in bright outdoor light, she wasn't.

then there's that lovely 70's matte texture, esp. on him.

any thoughts you have will be valuable to me.

wish me luck

kc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dejavu.jpg (39.4 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2001, 10:58 AM

Stage one looks good. I would consider flattening the composition, applying a general gaussian blur to soften the edges, take a history snapshot,revert to original and use the history brush to selectively apply blur to the sharp contrast areas. Perhaps playing around with the duotone or tritone modes might be productive also. No idea at all for a background. Of course, giving it an overall aged, sepia tone and using the hipass filter at around 3.9 or so, changing blend mode to overlay might prove interesting---that way the texture of the one photo might be less noticable. Just some musings... Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2001, 04:11 PM

Hi Kathleen,

What a great idea! I see what you mean about the different lighting. I downloaded your image and played around with it a bit. First I selected the boy's face and the arm around his neck and lowered the contrast substantially - I had to increase the brightness a bit too. I did this to reduce the harsh shadows.(Looking at it now, I think I lowered the contrast too much.) Then I selected the girl's face and used an omni light (Filters->Render->Lighting Effects in PS6) with the point source on the upper left of her head. I used the burn tool to darken her eye sockets a little, then the dodge tool to lighten her cheeks and tip of nose. Then I copied her head to a new layer so I could add a shadow effect under her chin.

I've included a copy of the before/after of just the heads here. I don't like how I increased the texture of the boy's picture, but I think that's because I lowered the contrast a little too much. Just an idea of how you might work with it, but by no means an "expert" opinion - I was just fooling around for a few minutes to see what I could do with the few tools I'm familiar with.

Have fun - looks like a great project!

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dejavu2.jpg (16.2 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2001, 08:32 PM

hey jeanie

you are a sweetheart to take the time with it - i like what you did and will use your ideas.

and you know what else you prompted me to do? - crop more of it. I really wanted the horsie in it, but that's not really the heart of the matter and the more of them i put in it the longer it will take and they'll be here tuesday. yikes. back to the old drawing board.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2001, 10:44 PM

Jeanie,
You did a great job of helping Kathleen out. Just a little observation though, the girl's hair is close to the same color as his so it would also require the highlights as his has to keep it from looking dark brown. Like the way your shaded her face and lightened his.

Kathleen,
Do the best you can and remember when you are dealing with vast lighting differences you may not get it perfect but paying attention to the details will certainly help. Love the whole idea and I know we will all be eager to hear their response. I know they are going to just love it. What a wonderful idea.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2001, 11:16 PM

hey dj, jeanie

i forgot to give credit where credit is due.

the first time i ever checked out the gallery @ this site, there was, i reckon there still is, an entry that unites two childhood pictures, in that case seamlessly. i'm sure the idea was planted then.

there are almost no childhood pix of my boyo, i am grateful for the fat little arm of his twin slung around his neck that i can pass off as my girl's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2001, 11:34 PM

Hey, beg, borrow and steal where ever you can, I say. I think you might be able to borrow some highlights from his hair too for her and look at where his face shadows are and copy from him a bit. Think of him as a model to pattern from to get her shadows closer to the real situation.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2001, 04:56 AM

Looks like you've given yourself quite a challenge! You did a fine job of matching up the sizes, that can be tough!
If I were doing this, I would try to match them up by working on them each seperately first. I would probably use a technique to lighten up the shadows on the boy first.
Another thing I noticed, one picture is more in focus than the other. So I would probaby sharpen one, or blur the other a bit, to try and match that up.
I might try desaturating a copy of each and work on that, as I think it's easier to see the shadows and light without the color. Then I would go back and add the color layer later.
I also like to flip the image horizontaly, just to get a fresh look. Sometimes that helps to see whether it looks patched together or not. I fix any areas that look off, and then flip it back.
Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2001, 08:12 AM

it was a good way to start the day, to read what you said, vikki, and know i had already done some of it. made me feel like i'm going in the right direction.

but i hadn't flipped, i did see a couple more things when i did that. i first read that technique in drawing on the left side of the brain; i'll never forget how amazed i was @ the relative greater accuracy it provided drawing from another picture

gonna attach what i've got so far; if anybody has any guidance, esp on background, i'll be grateful. i need to wrap it up pretty soon and switch into cooking and cleaning mode. included wed. shot, cuz i always like to know the rest of the story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiddos.jpg (40.5 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2001, 08:58 AM

Thumbs down

I think it's great Kathleen. I know they are going to love it. I think it is even better with the heads only.
DJ

Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 10-15-2001 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help