RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Can't figure this one out

Old 05-17-2004, 10:31 AM

Thanks Courtney. I will definitely give that a try.

My client expressly said that she "just wants a photo back", so probably won't go the "printing on canvas" route.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2004, 12:38 PM

Latest news. With a soft cloth apply laquer thinner very softly, this should work if you want to take those brush strokes off completely. Though it might smear the soot. I talked with a friend who reminded me, I forgot.

Anyway, I hope it works out. Its a lovely image. (I personally LOVE the canvas look, but Im a sucker for canvasing my photos)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2004, 10:46 PM

THANKS Courtney! I don't know if I'm "brave" enough to try lacquer thinner, but you got me thinking that perhaps I should contact the preservation department at my local university and see if they have any "tricks".

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Janitor

Literal cleaning (as opposed to digital cleaning) is a definite possibility, but before doing anything you'd need to determine conclusively the technique used to print the photo on the canvas in the first place. Some techniques that will safely clean photos made with one technique could damage another photo made with another technique.

It does seem apparent that a coating of some sort is present. These were usually acrylic (good news) but were also frequently water-based (bad news). Other variants were also available.

The age of the original might help to narrow this down. You'd need to determine if it's actually printed on the canvas (as opposed to merely being transferred onto the canvas). That would help determine what cleaners might be harmless to the image.

Regardless, it's a very risky operation. Unless you have a waiver from the client (in writing) or insurance for this kind of thing, I'd stick to digital restoration or refer her to a professional conservator.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Janitor

In the meantime, just to contribute yet another idea to this excellent thread, here's what happens when you dupe the original, apply D/S until every trace of brush pattern is gone (using the highest possible threshold) then duping the original layer again on top of the D/S layer and applying Blend If. Not a total solution, but gets you quite of the bit of the way there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby-helpDN.jpg (60.0 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help