Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

RGB to CYMK - help please

Old 05-23-2004, 11:54 AM
RGB to CYMK - help please

I am an artist who occasionally has requests from magazines to publish images for an article or interview about my work. I need to send high resolution images to them. I understand that I need TIFF files at 300dpi and sized to the actual size that will be used. Also I know it is best to send in CYMK mode but I use Photoshop Elements that does not have the power to change RGB to CYMK. Is there any plug-in I can purchase to be able to do this or do I need to get Photoshop 7? Or perhaps I can send by CD my images in RGB as TIFF and they will be able to convert to CYMK?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Welcome to RetouchPro!

Options I can thing of:
* The plugins in this article look promising:
* Your idea to contact the recipient regarding conversion of RGB to CMYK at their end is a good one. They surely can do it. The question is, "Will they?" Definitely worth a phone call and/or e-mail to find out.
* Check into this book: The Hidden Powers of Photoshop Elements (check out this link: Richard Lynch has unearthed many ways to make Elements do things that were not published by Adobe.
* Photoshop 7 is no longer available through normal channels. You'd have to get it by other means, such as or the like. If your need is just to convert RGB to CMYK, you can save yourself a couple hundred $$ by getting PS4 or PS5 instead.
* Look into on-site computer rentals (Kinkos comes to mind). You can "rent" some computer time and use their software to convert the file(s).
* There are probably online photo service providers that will accept RGB/tiff files as an upload and return them to you in CMYK format.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Thanks so much for your help...I have ordered the book you recommend, read some reviews and yes it seems to have what I need, GREAT!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help