Welcome to RetouchPro!
Options I can thing of:
* The plugins in this article look promising: http://www.automatic-mail.com/colori...twarecmyk.html
* Your idea to contact the recipient regarding conversion of RGB to CMYK at their end is a good one. They surely can
do it. The question is, "Will they?" Definitely worth a phone call and/or e-mail to find out.
* Check into this book: The Hidden Powers of Photoshop Elements (check out this link: http://www.design-bookshelf.com/BEST/elements.html
). Richard Lynch has unearthed many ways to make Elements do things that were not published by Adobe.
* Photoshop 7 is no longer available through normal channels. You'd have to get it by other means, such as www.eBay.com
or the like. If your need is just to convert RGB to CMYK, you can save yourself a couple hundred $$ by getting PS4 or PS5 instead.
* Look into on-site computer rentals (Kinkos comes to mind). You can "rent" some computer time and use their software to convert the file(s).
* There are probably online photo service providers that will accept RGB/tiff files as an upload and return them to you in CMYK format.
Hope this gives you some ideas...