RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Light Leak Problem

Old 05-29-2004, 09:50 PM

Light Leak Problem

Gadzooks, you have just helped me out of one mess and here I am in another. I have spent about 5 hours diligently following Katrin Eismann's step-by-step instructions for repairing light leak. I went through the procedure several times and got varying degrees of bad results on each try.

All seemed to be going well intil I got to the step (6) where the Quick Mask is exited. Instead of the image shown in the book, I saw a greyscale with the bottom quarter selected. The only way I could continue was to undo the Quick Mask exit and proceed from there. Naturally, because a step was skipped, things didn't go too well after that either.

The attached images show the original 35mm slide scan and my best results from the book's instructions.

I have a quite a few slides like that. My dad (and sometimes me too) didn't always wind the film into the camera correctly & got this effect on almost every roll.

Thanks for any advice you might give.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spamtown62WRa.jpg (81.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Spamtown62WRb.jpg (82.8 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2004, 10:31 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Wayne,

This is something I'm not very good at, and I'm sure others will do much better. I duplicated the layer, set blending mode to color burn, and made a layer mask. Filled the mask with a gradient (black to white) covering the (left) side where the problem is. Duped this layer, and opacity at 75%. Used the eyedropper to sample the yellow on the hat feather, closest to the viewer. Made a new layer (color blending mode), filled with foreground color as sampled, with opacity at 50%. Made another dup layer set to multiply, at 100%, and another at color burn 56%. Took another reading of the feather, filled another new layer (again, color blending mode), then inverted, with opacity at 50%. This is probably the long way to get there, and I'm sure others will do it more easily.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spamtown_better.jpg (75.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Ed_L; 05-30-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2004, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the help here, Ed. I'll give it a try your way, but I'm thinkin' it may be best to table this project for a while until I get some more of the basics nailed down.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2004, 11:05 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
You're welcome. I didn't have time to do more last night, but I just added a levels adjustment layer, then set the white point on the head of the drum, black point on the shadow in the leg of the uniform, and the gray point on the street. This helped the color quite a bit and gave it a little more snap, but it made it worse on the left side in the trees and the street. So I used the layer mask to paint black on that area with about 20 - 25% on the brush. This brought it to a little better condition. I'm really surprised that you didn't get quite a few replies. Possibly it wasn't showing up as a new thread???

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spamtown_better2.jpg (81.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help