RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

What am I missing?

Old 06-17-2004, 01:47 AM

Smile

Unfortunately, I don't have time to ask for the original to scan it again. I have been using a cheap hand-me-down scanner -visioneer onetouch 5800- and scanning through Paperport 7. Paperport saves scans as some .max file, whatever that is. And, the.max files are very small. So, it looks like I got way ahead of myself and I should have taken more time on the scan. Thanks for the idea to have them scanned at a kiosk, Brandonx49. I will look into that. I am also, in the furture, going to try taking a digital photo of the originals and work with that. But, first I need to learn about the proper lighting for that sort of thing. And, my camera seems to take photos in jpg, so I'll have to find a way to change that I suppose.

I tried to export the original .max scan file to .tiff, but it wasn't any better than the jpg, even though the file size was much bigger. And, photoshop won't read the .max file. So, it seems the problem is the way I scanned it and that .max thing. In the future I think I can scan using photoshop's import feature and keep them as .psd files. Thanks for the tips Doug, Gary. That should help, until I can get better equipment.

Could you guys tell me about the software and hardware you personally prefer and use for scanning? What other software do you use/recommend, besides photoshop, for digital editing and restoration?

Also, if any of you do this (photo editing, resoration) for a living, would you please tell me all about your profession? The reason I ask, is that I love working with digital photos, and I am hoping that I could someday make a living doing this. So, I would like to know what sorts of employment might exist doing photo editing and restoration, and if I can ever expect to make any money doing it. Right now, I just do it for friends and family for fun. And, I love how people light up when they see their new photos for the first time. Everyone so far has been so amazed at what I can do, they're urging me to start charging and make it a business. In your opinion, is this sort of thing possible, or would I just go broke chasing dreams? If not a business, then what sort of employment could I aim for? Are there jobs for anyone with the talent, or do I need to go back and get a degree in graphic design?

Thank you all very much for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2004, 07:23 PM

Cool Final version

Well, it is time to say goodbye to this one. I finished up what I had, and got it turned in in time for the wife and daughter to find a nice frame and wrap it up for Father's day. They were very pleased and had some great things to say. That's a relief. I, of course, being a perfectionist, am not totally content with the final draft. I would like to scan the original again and start all over. But, time waits for no one, I suppose, on to the next job.

I thought y'all might like to see what I ended up with. I got rid of the bird alltogether; it was just distracting. And, she came out a bit orange in the tan, but she wanted it that way. This photo posted here is shrunk down to just under 100K so it really doesn't do it justice. But, for curiosity's sake, here it is.

Again, thanks for all your help everybody. I would still like to hear from you about those questions I asked about the business side of things. Maybe somebody could just direct me to another thread where these things have already been answered?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2004, 07:28 PM

Talking

oops. I forgot to upload the photo. Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawaiian-couple-final-web.jpg (95.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 01:47 AM

Hi Doc, hard to judge your final image, as its posted a little small, however, it looks better for losing the parrot. As for your questions about business, alas I'm an amateur like you, and do it just for the fun of it. There are however several threads on this topic if you do a bit of looking around on RP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 05:31 AM

I only have a few minutes (otherwise I would try to answer some of your business questions), but I just wanted to mention that you can scan from within Photoshop, and don't have to go through Paperport. You can then save the file in a number of different formats. In Photoshop, on the main menu, choose FILE, IMPORT. You should see your scanner listed. Select your scanner, and it will bring up the scanning window. You don't need to use Paperport at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 06:07 PM

Work/Classifieds Forums

Hey, I just found the forums titled Work and Classifieds. I haven't had a chance to read them yet. But, I imagine there's info about the business side of this there. Thanks, Gary.

And, I will use photoshop to scan from now on. Thank,s Vikki. I will also get a better scanner. What scanners do you recommend?

I now see the Software and Hardware sections on the forums page. I'll check there. This is the first message board I have ever tried and I guess I don't know what I'm doing yet.

Thanks for your help and patience everbody.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 06:30 PM

Hmm.... I just posted and it didn't go through. Anyway, one more time...

Thanks, Gary for telling me to look around. I have now found the Work and Classifieds and the Software and Hardware sections of the forums. I haven't had a chance to read anything. But, my answers are probably there.

And, I will use photoshop to import from the scanner from now on. Thanks, Vikki. Hopefully, I'll find everything I want to know in the new RetouchPro forums I have found.

This website is awesome. It is great to find all this info in one place, and run by such a friendly bunch of people. Thank you, Retouch Pro. I can't afford to dontate money, but I wouldn't mind dontating some of my time if there is anything I can do to help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help