RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

What am I missing?

Old 06-15-2004, 12:16 AM

Question What am I missing?

I've been asked to try and save this old photo and I seem to be missing something. I just can't seem to get rid of the pixelated look after the touch up. And, I need it to look as real as possible for the final draft. I have added some things to the photo as well, as requested - a background and a more colorful drink and a bird. And, I plan on making the bird a bit smaller and adding some subtle shadows to make everything look more real. But, how to I clean up that pixelated thing in the skin? I will post a copy of what I have so far, in my next thread. If anyone can give me a tip, or tell me what I'm missing, please help. I am using Photoshop and ImageReady CS. I am still learning about saving web images, so these here look awful now that I've shrunk them down. Hopefully, it will still give you an idea of what it looks like. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawaiian-Couple-1-web.jpg (44.6 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2004, 12:29 AM

Question What I have so far

Here is a copy of my second draft of this photo. It still doesn't look right when printed. I used clone and patch and heal to bring out the guy's face. But, now it looks a little cartoonish. And, I had to clone the hat in where it was washed out. But, I have no idea how to paint in new curly hair where it is washed out over her. I put in a flower to cover it up. But, is there a way to fix her hair? And, is there any way to bring back the realism without just turning down the color? They want it bright and colorful. Any tips, hints or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawaiian-couple-web.jpg (57.5 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 AM

Hi Doc, if a picture is pixellated, it's because there is'nt sufficient number of pixels to give the definition you require. How big is your image ie. how many pixels wide, and how many pixels high, and how large do you want the image to physically be ie. how wide in inches, and how high. To get a good print out you usually need a resolution of 200-300 pixels per inch, so to see how big you can print your image, divide the overall pixel width and height by 200 and this will give you the max size in inches you can print.

Unfortunately, if your original does'nt have enough pixels there is nothing you can do to make more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2004, 04:59 AM

The original photo is only 3" tall by 2 1/2" wide and it was scanned at 600 ppi. I am trying to finish with a 5x7 or maybe even 8x10. It seems like there are enough pixels. It's just that the skin became all splotchy with reds and yellows after I adjusted it. -like the skin tone separated or something. I just got a request to make them both more tan, so maybe adjusting the color will help some. But, isn't there a way to just smooth out the skin a little, and make the colors blend more smoothly?

I am playing around with Digital Sho, Gem, and Roc. But, so far they only seem to adjust the contrast and brightness and color just the same as the features in photoshop. Thanks for helping, Gary. Cool pic of Gargamel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Janitor

I'm sure this isn't the case, but I thought I'd ask: are you using JPG as your native format? About the only reason I could see for that type of damaged to be introduced after scanning is via JPG compression. There should be plenty of image data at that resolution for what you described.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2004, 08:24 AM

Red face

Oh, my. Yes, I have the original as a jpg. When I export from the scanner, there are only a few options. Which other format should I be using? All I have read about photoshop so far has lead me to believe that for a photograph, jpg is best. The only other formats I'm aware of are gif and png. I came across a vague reference to some jpg 2000 the other day. But, I still need to look into that. Is that what you mean? Could you please tell me how I should be saving these photos and which format to use?

I feel like a real dunce. But, I knew I was missing something vital. Thanks, and could you please tell me more?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2004, 08:37 AM

I just checked the scanning software and I see that files can be exported to something called .TIFF and there is one that says, uncompressed .TIFF. I imagine that this is what I am supposed to use. I am just totally unfamiliar with .TIFF so I didn't take notice of it before. Please, let me know if I have a clue. And, maybe if anyone knows a website where I can read up about photo file formats and stuff? Maybe this site, huh? I'll check.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2004, 08:51 AM

hi Doc,

If find that a JPEG with little commpression is not much different in quality from a TIFF except that TIFF's are much larger in file size. If you are using automated mode with you scanner you might want to try the manual way that way if the scan is being auto-saved as a JPEG at let's say 60% you can stop this and save with little compression thus not any image quality in the save.

Another factor might be the quality of your scanner. You could always take it to a scanning kiosk at a local photo shop or walmart and have it scanned at a high resoluton and better scanner to CD.

Hope this helps,
Brad
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2004, 05:10 PM

One of the troubles with jpg is it compresses each time you save your image, so the compression effect is commulative. You may have transferred it ok, but if you have worked on the image and saved it several times then the image will degrade. Take a copy of the original scan and save it with one of the non lossy compression formats like Tiff or PSD and then work on it. When you have finished working on your image, if you must have it in jpg format then save a copy of your final image as jpg.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-17-2004 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Janitor

Avoid JPG as long as possible. Conversion to JPG for web use or emailing or any other purpose should be the final step. Converting to JPG literally destroys image data (as you've discovered). Stick with TIF or PSD for scanning and editing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help