RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Is there a way to export/print a file in multiple sizes from Photoshop?

Old 06-21-2004, 08:46 AM

Is there a way to export/print a file in multiple sizes from Photoshop?

What I want to be able to do is draw several frames on an image with each frame on a different layer and then automatically export each layer as a jpg.

For instance, I want to take a single high resolution Photoshop PSD file that I can get multiple images from at different sizes without haveing to create multiple PSD files. So lets say the original image is 1600x1200 of a backyard landscape. I could put frames like:
#1. 1600x1200 for the entire pic
#2. 1024x768 for a crop of one feature like a pond
#3. 800x600 close-up of a tree
#4. 640x480 close-up of a bush
#5. 640x480 close-up of a container plant
And then save these frames for later reference. Then with just a few clicks I want to have each frame exported as a individual JPG file.

Is there anything like this?

Thanx, Dave.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2004, 12:08 PM

Hi Dave:

It's possible what you want to do could be accomplished by recording a PS action, but I'm a little fuzzy on what you're trying to accomplish. It would be premature to get into that until the specifications are clarified. I don't want to ass-u-me here.

By "frames" do you mean digital frames?

re: "then automatically export each layer as a jpg"
(a) The frame layers only -or- (b) the frames layers + the sections you've cropped and placed on individual layers. too?

It would be helpful if you could post some example images with your reply. You can upload up to five images per post.

I'll be glad to help further when I understand your vision.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2004, 01:32 PM

I'm useing Actions and Batch mode to try and accomplish what I want. I'm wanting to use a square selection tool, set to several standard fixed sizes in landscape (1600x1200, 1024x768, etc.) and portrait orientation (1200x1600, etc). Each size and orientation has its own hotkey. Press a hotkey for the size you are looking for and it creates a selection box and then you just move it into place. Press another hotkey that then saves that selection as a channel that can later be reloaded as a selection through a batch process and used to select the desired print or export area. Now I have a series of channels that define a series of areas within a image that I can load as a selection and then print only that selection.

This is where I run into one big problem. I don't know if PS has a scripting language that would allow me to set if-then statements. I need this because I want the channels to be automatically named but this can only be determined by how many other channels have been named. Picture a landscape scene where I want to save a channel based on two different bushes with both of them being 800x600 landscape. Also, when running a batch process to export or print each channel I would need a way to cycle through only the channels that were saved via the layout macros and not channels that may have been used in retouching the image so I would need to be able to parse the name of the channel looking for a specific naming sequence in the string.

Any ideas?

Thanx, Dave.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2004, 02:05 PM

This is a pretty sophisticated endeavor and from how you describe it looks to be beyond the scope of actions invoked through the batch command.

re: "I don't know if PS has a scripting language that would allow me to set if-then statements."

You're in luck. If you're into JavaScript or VBScript programming, PS7 can be enabled (via download from Adobe) to play scripts. The ability to play scripts is built into CS. No scripting for PS 6 or prior versions.

A few RetouchPRO members have scripting background, so perhaps one or more will weigh in on this thread.

While you're waiting, if you haven't checked out the Scripting forum at Adobe.com, a lot of sharp programmer-types hang out there who would no doubt drool at the opportunity to advise on your particular issues.

Here's a link:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...Idz.0@.ef7f2cb

Hope this gets you moving.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 06-21-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help