RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Matt's Pic - Help Needed

Old 06-29-2004, 01:51 PM

Hi Jen,
I took a go at your photo. Did pretty much as the others.
For the shirt i used the clone tool to get rid of the stain.
Extracted the bottle
Then i used a layer mask to wrap his fingers back around the bottle
Hope we have helped you. You can do this Jen
W. Rose (Wayne)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MattW.jpg (59.3 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 02:22 PM

Hee Mig, nice magazine and picture : )

Thank you also for explaining the most basic things to me, like free transform and lasso tool.

I'm giving Matt's roommate a bottle makeover, too. This is what I've got so far - the bottle in, twisted at the right degree, at the precise size needed. However, I'm having difficulty shaping the bottle to fit the one in Jeff's hand. I tried using the Polygonal Lasso tool to cut Jeff's out, paste it over the blue soda bottle, and trace the precvise shape in... but Photoshop won't let me cut Jeff's bottle. It says it can't cut because the "selected portion is empty." Gah. Am I going about this incorrectly? I'll look into layer masks, too - thanks W. Rose!!

On a lighter note, why is it that when I add the bottle in, and click save, it won't save as a JPEG file? It creates a new file in PSD format, which I doubt Target can develop like a JPEG file.

Thanks again - this board is incredible.

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 02:38 PM

Jen, don't worry about cutting his fingers out, just place the new bottle over the old one, turn down the opacity where you can see the shape of the old one and then place it where you want it. You will be able to see the exact size. Add a layers mask and paint back the fingers.
When your saving the photo, click the down arrow where the PSD format is showing and save as JPEG.
I don't know if i explained this very well, if not let me know.

W. Rose (Wayne)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 03:00 PM

Do Save As or Save for Web and you can save as JPEG. But always use the highest JPEG quality -- and also do all your work saving as PSD and only convert to JPEG when you are done and ready to print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 03:04 PM

Jeff is grasping the bottle with his whole fist, though, and creates a split in the bottle... plus his arm blocks off half of the bottle... whereas Matt was just gently holding it with a few fingers.

Is there a way to trace Jeff's bottle onto the new bottle, to get an exact replica?

Edited to add: I put the bottle over Jeff's, clicked Mask Layer, and then wasn't sure how to "paint" the fingers back. I clicked the paint tool, and thought painting over the general area where the hand is would miraculously bring that portion up from the original unmaskerd layer.

So I tried cutting Jeff's hand - but it told me (again) the selected area was empty.

Ugh, from now on, if I want to have a Jones soda bottle in a pic, the people who I'm taking the pic of will be holding a Jones soda bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeff & Matt copy.jpg (56.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Cinnamn112; 06-29-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 04:30 PM

If you can post a pic with the jones bottle not floating by the shirt, I can try to do something with it

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 05:07 PM

Thanks Noel!!!

I edited a ton of my photos today (once I whitened somebody's teeth, the person NEXT to them looked like they needed a box of digi-Crest Strips... repeat this with all the other touch-ups you can think of, lol) and promise this is my final touch-up before I burn every photo to disc and have Target develop them all.

Are there any books you guys recommend? Scott Kelby's name sure comes up a lot on amazon.com. Or, do you know of any tutorial websites with photos, that teach you how to do cool stuff such as movie posters, etc.? Or do you just prefer the old-fashioned wasy of exploring and trying out?

Anyway, thank you so much, everyone - it's really nice of you to take the time & effort to help me.

Jen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeff & Matt.jpg (42.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 05:10 PM

Jen,
Move the bottle into position and add a layer mask to the bottle layer. Turn down the opacity so you can see and paint his hand back in.
Turn down the opacity so it matches the rest of the photo.
W.Rose (Wayne)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeff & Matt W.jpg (81.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 06:21 PM

Wow, what incredible instructions!! I followed them exactly, and had the bottles swapped in two minutes flat... it seemed like a year-long challenge just an hour ago. Thanks : )

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 08:28 PM

The above is basically what I would have done

- Noel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help