RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Matt's Pic - Help Needed

Old 06-28-2004, 02:22 PM

Matt's Pic - Help Needed

Hi everyone,
I'd like to make a scrapbook of college photos, and would like to include this one of Matt. However, the huge liquid spill on his t-shirt needs to go... and I have no idea how to remove it.

Also, this isn't terribly important, but is it possible to change the bottle of beer in his hand to, say, one of the bottles pictured at http://www.jonessodastore.com/files/jus-101.html? It'd be nice to show the scrapbook to my family.

I attached a copy of the pic... does anyone think they can help, with at least the liquid stain?

Thanks so much,
Jen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matt.jpg (30.6 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Cinnamn112; 06-28-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2004, 04:27 PM

Firstly, the photo as you posted it is really badly jpeg compressed -- it's only 35K and the compression has affected the results you can get out of it. If you have a less-compressed (and ideally higher-resolution, as well) shot then it will be much easier to work with.

Secondly, ideally I wouldn't try to include one of the bottles from the website. They are shot under very different conditions and it's tricky to incorporate them into a photo like this. Ideally shooting a bottle under similar conditions and potentially with the same camera would be a good way to go.

Anyway, here's my best shot working with what we had. The stain was easy but I'm not at all happy with the bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matt_new.jpg (82.1 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2004, 04:38 PM

Quick and dirty fixes

- Noel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jones.jpg (86.6 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2004, 05:28 PM

OMG, those edits are incredible!!!!! I thought it was impossible to get the spill out of Matt's t-shirt... I'm so impressed! You can't even tell there was a spill.

May I ask for detailed instructions on how to do both? The explicit process you used, if it isn't too much trouble? I've got some messy friends, and also some alcoholics who love to pose holding up their bottles, so both tips would greatly come in handly for the rest of this batch, and for the next 3 years of my college experience, lol.

Thanks so much, again!!!

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2004, 05:48 PM

The t-shirt is basically using the clone brush to clean up the stain, then I used the healing brush to add some dimension back.

The bottle, I cut the label off another bottle, and then using a layer mask put it on the first bottle.

If you would like more detail, let me know

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2004, 06:12 PM

The stain, I just made a copy of the existing T-shirt on a new layer, dragged it so that the undamaged area of that layer covered the stain on the background layer, added a Hide All layer mask and then brushed in over the stain with white on the mask. Then repeated the process as there wasn't quite enough T-shirt to cover all of the stain.

My version of the bottle I copied the fingers onto a new layer at the top of the layer stack and then put the bottle on a layer between the main image and the fingers. Had to do some Levels and Curves tweaking to try to make it blend in but I don't remember what exactly. I think changing the label is probably a better way to go in this shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2004, 08:38 PM

Wow guys, thank you so much! I'm using Noel's cleaning-up technique, and now all my friends have crisp, spotless clothing that looks fresh out of the wash.

Anyway, as far as the bottle goes, I really liked Leah's placing of the root beer bottle in Matt's hand. I don't think it looks unnatural at all, and blends in perfectly. The picture was actually cut in half - on the left-hand side was Jeff, tilting a bottle up and singing along to Garth's "Friends In Low Places." I'm going to attempt to switch the bottle with another Jones's bottle. However, I'm confused about one of the most elementary things - selecting particular objects.

I saved a blue bottle from the website (picture enclosed), and need to select only the bottle, not the entire square around it. What tool do I use? Also, you said you duplicated only the fingers on a different layer - how do you select only the fingers for a new layer?

Also, I'll need to rotate the blue soda bottle to match the real one Jeff had. My search in Photoshop 7.0 Help said the 3D Transform filter is the way to go - did I come across the right tool?

I'm sorry for such basic questions... I did search in Photoshop, and the tutorials on this website. Unfortunately, both seemed to have more advanced topics than that.

Thanks (again)
Jen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue Jones.JPG (4.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Cinnamn112; 06-28-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 12:14 AM

Jen, you're funny. (She's only kidding, people...)

To select the bottle you can trace it with one of the selection tools, then cut and paste it into the picture of Matt. Then hit Ctrl+T and free transform the bottle to make it fit in his hand. Forget about the 3D transform filter.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matts_dormroom.jpg (70.4 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 01:23 AM

Nice addition in the background there

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 01:23 PM

Hi Mig,
I got a kick out of your additions also. Made me giggle

W.Rose (Wayne)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help