Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help in retouching digital cameras images that have to be printed !

Old 07-03-2004, 06:17 AM
Question Help in retouching digital cameras images that have to be printed !

Hi there,
I need help in retouching a group of photos in Photoshop CS.
I mean how can I manipulate a photo that cames from an Olympus Digital Camera, without losing additional color space information after retouching.
The original photos are in JPG format and have many additional headers embedded in the image that store infos about the shot parameters and so on, such as sRGB colorspace etc...

When I just move a pixel in the image in photoshop if I choose to "Save" the image, then the requester for choosing compression comes up but this usually doesn't happen if I use images that does not have this info headers added.

Saving the image all the additional headers disappear and instead new Photoshop Headers appear.

How can I avoid loosing this information and maybe color space information ( I'm not sure ) while continuing to manipulate them in photoshop ?

The Images after the retouch must be taken to a Photo lab to be printed.
They adviced me not to manipulate them to avoid loosing color information and other things, instead they can manipulate them safely in photoshop for additional cost per photo.

Obviously this is not what I want, I'm good at retouching photo even if usually they remain in the digital format so I don't know what I should do if the images have to be printed.

Suppose you have a jpg file of an image from a shot made with a digital camera that use Epson Image Printing technology for example.
How do you print the image for example with an Epson Stylus photo 895 that support this feature after you have retouched the photo in photoshop and all these info needed for the technology above may have been discarded ?

What I mean is what should be the correct workflow in photoshop to avoid loosing any additional data and being sure that the corrections adopted in the retouch would be safe as those made by the photo lab ?

If anyone can help me explaining me the correct workflow It would be very nice.

Thanx in advance,

Last edited by Jinxius; 07-03-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Hi Jinxius,

I'm new to retouching and digital printing. I'm sure the pros here will give you more useful information, but here's what I think I understand so far.

Edit your file in photoshop under your normal conditions. It's a good idea to have a calibrated monitor.

After you're done editing, save then duplicate that file and use it for a "print version." Get a printer profile for the Epson Stylus photo 895 and apply it to your file.

I believe this is the how to get your file to match your print. I hope I have this straight. Perhaps you can use this info to start and research it further.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2004, 07:09 AM
meta data

I think what you are asking about is called meta data and its available is photoshop cs (not sure about earliers versions) . to veiw the data open your file browser(file with magnafing glass near upper right coner of photoshop)when the browser opens navigate to the photo that you are interested in, high light it ,and in the lower left corner of the browser window look for a tab called metadata. this will give you all kinds of information about the image (file properties,exif data ,... ) . hope this is what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help