RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Superimposed Image - Advice please!

Old 07-04-2004, 02:01 PM

Superimposed Image - Advice please!

HI everyone!

I'm new here and don't quite know how it all works yet but I would still like to ask for help! I am taking a Photoshop class with HTML Writer's Guild and one of our assignments is to restore/retouch a photo. I didn't have any so I asked one of the lists I am on - and now I have a bunch! One is especially difficult and I would like to know what you think would be the best way to go about it. It is a photo (no negative available) that is actually two photos superimposed. Does anyone have any idea how I could go about separating them? I think this would be a great challenge photo too. Here is the jpg at full size and 50% quality. I also have .tif file which I have saved as a .psd if anyone is interested.

TIA!

Cass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doublePicture.jpg (68.1 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2004, 02:48 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Cass, and welcome to RP. I'm not one to say that anything is impossible with Photoshop, but this one would take a real expert with a lot of time to kill. It's doubtful that even Flora would take a shot at this one!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2004, 03:09 PM

poopy

hmmm poopy - that hard huh? Well one of these days I will try anyway just for the challenge (haha) of it. I'm sure I would learn alot...

Cass
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2004, 04:23 PM

Cass:

What you might want to do is check out some of the "challenge" images here at RetouchPRO. Perhaps you'll find something that's challenging, but not too challenging to start with.

http://www.retouchpro.com/challenges/index.php/cat/507

If you haven't seen it yet, an absolutely excellent book from which to learn techniques and develop skills for this type of thing is Photoshop Retouching and Restoration, by Katrin Eismann. There are two editions: The first is based on Phothoshop ver 6 (available for less money; topics/skills presented applicable to all versions of PS, but no content on PS7). The second edition is based on PS ver 7 (more expensive) and there are updates that address CS topics on Katrin's website. The owner of this site, Doug Nelson, was a contributing writer on the second edition. Look into used sources, e.g., www.half.com or www.Amazon.com (used) for favorable pricing.

The topics covered in this book + your classroom training + "just doing it" (practice, practice, practice on various images) = you'll eventually get it.

HTH...
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2004, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the book tip!

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't think we are going to do too much more in class. However lots of people would like me to help them so I think I will get lots of practice. I wasn't so interested in touching up photos until this homework assignment and now I am getting quite excited about it esp with the prospect of helping others with their geneology.

Cass
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up

Holy mackeral! I wouldn't even know where to start with an image like this. If I were the photographer, I wouldn't even show the image around, it would be placed immediately in the round file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S.
Holy mackeral! I wouldn't even know where to start with an image like this. If I were the photographer, I wouldn't even show the image around, it would be placed immediately in the round file.
Well it didn't and now the descendent is wanting to get the most out of it since it is the only picture she has of some of these people... I guess it was taken by an amateur who screwed up but kept if for sentimental reasons... the lady who sent it to me didn't know the entire background. And heck, if I can get them apart, think of what I will have learned ))

Cass
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 05:03 PM

Well good luck, because I think you're going to need lots of it to resolve your image. It makes unravelling the Gordian Knot look simple. Keep us posted on your progress, I'm sure I'm not the only one to be interested in how you get on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 05:14 PM

I'm gonna be watching this thread; this looks pretty hard.
I played with threshold trying to make a mask to at least lift the front image... with only minor success, when I think I discovered a third image. I'm not certain, but think there are at least three images, maybe more.
This happened to me once when I failed to set the leader properly on a 35mm camera. I shot 10 or 15 frames before I realized the film had stopped advancing (the leader jammed the take up spool after three frames). This looks like 120 film but you can cock the shutter on some of those old cameras without advancing the film.

Chip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2004, 06:59 PM

This is my first post, and let me tell you that you guys are some of the coolest people. Thanks Doug for putting this together, it's seriously the best resource available for anyone wanting to better themselves in this area.

I hope this image gets put on the challenge board, if only because we've worked on half the image and we'd probably be encouraged to do the other "half" of the double image if it were! Hahhaa.

Which brings up the fact that you guys are so awesome for putting so much effort into helping resolve specific problems for images that people bring to the forum, so many hours spent bettering your own skills but then sharing them with others.

Here's one artist's shot at the image. My next post will provide his method of attack, but it just looks like a lot of judgement about what belongs in *this* particular image, then removing what doesn't belong piece by piece, then enhancing the remaining image.

Image 257K so hosted here (Click Here)

I hope that I'm *welcome*to be a part of this community. I personally enjoy learning how to do the work. Hollywood Fotofix is a family owned company, and I'm in business development, not in the lab, so I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks in advance,
Austin
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help