RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Suggestions for getting rid of blow out area?

Old 07-22-2004, 03:17 PM

Flora: Yours is a lovely solution. You never cease to amaze and inspire me. Really.

- - - - -

re: Danny if I can't figure exactly what you did could you email me the psd so I can check out the layers you used?

Absolutely. Come to think of it why don't you e-mail me no matter what. A layered image example will give you a real good idea of how to do it... then you can try it on your own.

Warning: The layered file is gonna come in about 10 MB. Can you accept e-mail attachments that large?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2004, 07:26 AM

Hi,

gbbiv,

what follows might seem a nightmarish procedure...but it's actually quite simple (very ripetitive) and relatively fast ... (honest injun!)

Ready for it?
  • Used color Picker to select colour from a darker area close to the blown out spot.
  • Magic Wand to select the blown out spot.
  • Strongly feathered the selection (10 pixels).
  • With the selection active, created a new empty Layer.
  • Filled selection with the sampled colour.
  • Added some noise and slightly blurred the new Layer to better blend it in with the rest.
  • Duplicated the Layer, desaturated it (Ctrl+Shift+U) and changed its blending to 'Overlay' to brighten it up a bit.
  • Merged visible (you can find the TIP on how to here).
  • Duplicated the Merged Layer and blurred it very strongly (Radius = 10-20 pixels, or until the darkened/covered blown out spot blended nicely with the background.
  • Applied a Hide All (black) Layer Mask to the blurred Layer and, with a fuzzy white brush (adjust Opacity as necessary) painted over the blown out spot.
  • Merged visible.
  • Duplicated the Merged Layer and applied Filter>Other>Minimum (Radius = 8 pixels) to further darken the contours of the blown out spot.
  • Applied a Hide All (black) Layer Mask to the blurred Layer and, with a fuzzy white brush (adjust Opacity as necessary) painted over the blown out spot.
  • Merged visible.
  • Ctrl+Left Click on the last created Layer Mask to select its brightness.
  • With the selection active, activated (click on) the last merged Layer and (Ctrl+J) copied the selection on its own Layer. Desaturated it (Ctrl+Shift+U) and changed its blending to Color Burn (Opacity 50-60%).
  • Duplicated this last Layer and changed its Blending to Multiply.
  • Merged visible.
  • Ctrl+Left Click on the Multiply Layer to select the blown out corner again.
  • With the selection active, activated the last merged Layer and (Ctrl+J) copied the selection on its own Layer.
  • Changed its blending to Soft Light and, finally (I swear!!!), added some noise to it until it really looked like part of the original background.

Danny,

..thank you so much for your kindness!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2004, 09:23 AM

Flora is Great!

Thanks so much for that detail explaination, I am heading out the door now but will hopefully get a chance to try it tonight or tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help