RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Suggestions for getting rid of blow out area?

Old 07-21-2004, 02:23 PM

I really like this pic for some reason although others have said they don't. After looking at it for bit I decided that it might be the distracting blown out area in the upper left. How would you suggest handling this?

Thanks so much!

http://photos.created2worship.com/Ga...5294715-ws.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 10:53 PM

blown out area

If it were me... and the light source (obviously the huge blow out area) turned out to be gigantic, I'd just make it smaller in size so it doesn't dominate the otherwise excellent photo.

But then that's just my suggestion. It will be interesting to follow this thread and see what those with a lot more experience than me have to say.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 11:38 PM

Not a bad idea Janet. I was thinking about eliminating the highlite altogether, but it would be at odds with the lighting on her face. How do we present a smaller light source that is believable but doesn't draw our attention away from the face? Just a general question.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 12:05 AM

Just a thought. I can imagine a "vitral", I think you call them stained glass or cut glass window only clear and opaque, kind of a Tiffany window (I hope you understand what I am saying) That way you can reduce the glare and add a touch of decoration.
What do you think.
Mosha
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 07:40 AM

blown out area

The stained glass effect would be ok, except that it would add color to her face. How about softening it as if a sheer curtain from a window had been hung? I've been working on some wedding photos for a client and it is amazing how much that netting stuff on her veil softens light. Hmmm, will have to give this some ponder time. In any case, good luck. This photo is too good to just toss.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 09:38 AM

Hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd have a go. See what you think.

I cut her out and added a soft patterened background, then used the Render/Lighting Effects/Soft Spotlight filter on the background.

It's a start anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spotlight.jpg (20.1 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 09:52 AM

Wow!

Thanks for all the responses... These ideas are right in line with what I was looking for. Something to minimize the light or eliminate it(pretending the light source was coming from somewhere out of frame). I was trying to manipulate the existing pic rather than cut her out of it but what redmaccat did seems to work.

Thanks very much.

I still wonder if there is a technique to get rid of the light, maybe an inverse overlay set to multiply or something... the issue is that the light fades and everything I tried to do left a weird halo at the edges, if I leave anything I was thinking more like redmaccat did up in the corner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 AM

Here's another take... kind of neutralize the blowout area by taking parts of the image, stretching them with the free transform tool and using layer masks to (hopefully) piece them together so it looks natural. It also tells you how impossible it would be for me to craft a stained glass effect that looked decent, even though I liked that idea a lot.

While conceptually retaining a virtual light source makes sense, IMO it is likely that most viewers (non-photographers) would never ask, "Hey! What happened to the light source?" All they would see is the stunning bride against a nice, fuzzy, undistracting background.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bride-with-light-blob-djr.jpg (83.7 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 11:22 AM

Beautiful picture of a beautiful bride!!!

Combining Janet and Duv's suggestions and trying to remain as close as possible to the original, I just darkened and reduced the 'blown out spot' came up with this..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_P5294715-ws.jpg (93.2 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 02:18 PM

Now that is where I would like to see the final image.

Both of those are right where I was hoping to end up. I think I understand Danny's response but I'll have to try it when I get home... looks pretty good at this size. (Danny if I can't figure exactly what you did could you email me the psd so I can check out the layers you used?)

Now for Flora's idea, how did you darken that area? Did you mask off everything else and use curves or apply a dodging technique? Or blend a color layer???

She is a beautiful bride, there are a bunch of other shots at http://bc.created2worship.com

Thanks for all the Help!!!

This is a great forum, I'll have to try to spend some more time here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help