RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Colorizing

Old 09-25-2004, 03:16 PM

LOL Mark, I agree, it is freaking hard, that's why I'm here looking for help. Your colorizing is wonderful, except it isn't really pastel, that is the problem I am having, I am going to try Flora's advice and lighten the darker dresses. If I can't get it to look pastel that way, then I am going to have to talk to her before I put to much more time into this. Thanx for trying. Cindy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2004, 11:41 PM

Cindy,
Just an observation, but to me, it doesn't seem as if those dresses could have originally been pastels. The tone just looks too dark, and could be the main reason you're having a difficult time getting a good pastel.
Nice job on the restoration!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2004, 10:27 PM

I use the CMYK colouring method using channel masks and curves (http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161018) - works well for colourizing an image and you can adjust the lights and darks all in one go.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dresses.jpg (30.0 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi Cindy,

I usually try to 'sneak' out of colorizing jobs ....

I gave a go at part of your picture following this Tutorial which is not the easiest but, once you get the hang of it, it can give excellent results ... Vikki, here, can really do magic with it!

As for the dark shade of the dresses which result in dark colours after the blending, you could try to lift their shadows using either Curves or Levels while leaving the rest 'as is' with the help of a Layer Mask ....

P.S. ... surely not the colours you had in mind but, somehow I liked it ....

Hi!

This tutorial is realy great, but how do U know about the real colors of the picture? Is there any method?

Saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2004, 12:11 PM

Hi,

Cindy,

Thank you so much for your great feedback!!!

Mark, (Adams)

I fully agree with you .... It was very hard!!! (and I worked on one of the girls only!!!)

Vikki,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
...it doesn't seem as if those dresses could have originally been pastels. The tone just looks too dark....
My thoughts exactly ... but I wanted to try to lift those midtones anyway!!!

Mark, (murkyt)

Thank you so much for the link ... I had missed that!!!

Saby,
Quote:
Originally Posted by saby
...how do U know about the real colors of the picture?
Unless being told or given a sample ... well, I don't know ... I just try until the results seem natural and acceptable for the subject I'm working on ....

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2004, 07:44 PM

Thanx so much for everyone's input, I agree that the tones just don't fit the "pastel" that she says they were. I worked all weekend, so haven't been able to play with it yet, going to do so tonight, will post what I come up with. Saby, I know what the colors were only by what my co-worker told me. This is a great site, very informative and many helpful people, I appreciate the time and energy everyone put into this. Thanx again, Cindy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2004, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby
........ but how do U know about the real colors of the picture? Is there any method?
Saby
Normally there is no way to know the colors, although some people may have a better guess / intuition than others.

That said, this case is a little more interesting. We do have some clues:
- There are six different colors (no white, no grays, no black);
- The colors are all pastels (same lightness?);
- As they were a group, the colors should combine (saturation?);
- The black/white (grayscale) conversion was done by the B/W film.

So, if (??) the grayscale conversion of the film is something like Photoshop's luminosity we can say that green is brighter than red which os brighter than blue. Thus, taking the six basic colors we would have (lightest to darkest):
Yellow, Cyan, Green, Magenta, Red, Blue.
Of course that doesn't mean that these are the real colors, but it does mean that if you color the lightest dress with yellow and so on down to the darkest dress with blue, it should look more realistic.

Just trying to help..

Roland
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2004, 03:06 PM

Ok, here is the finished picture. She sure is getting her money's worth with all the time and effort I put into it.

Restored and colorized
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi Cindy,
I gave a go at part of your picture following this [URL=http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161015&page=1][

I've seen that tutorial before and it's now my method of choice for colorizing. I've adapted it, though by using adjustment layers rather than copying the original layer. That way, I can always go back and make corrections without changing each layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 AM

Cindy - Your coloring has a very vintage coloring look to it. The only thing I would recommend, is that before coloring, apply a light sepia to the photo. This covers the grays, that are not colored and provides a nice warm tone for the skin. For example, if you look at the fingers, you can see some gray showing through. If it had a sepia tone, they would look as if you had colored them.

M_Hnatiuk - Using adjusment layers is a good way to cut down on file size, and the results look the same, but I don't see how it's easier to go back and make changes, as the mask is where the changes are made.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help