RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Colorizing

Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
M_Hnatiuk - Using adjusment layers is a good way to cut down on file size, and the results look the same, but I don't see how it's easier to go back and make changes, as the mask is where the changes are made.
I also prefer adjustment layers.

I think what M_Hnatiuk was referring to is the possibility to "go back and make changes" in the colors and not in the masking. In the other, duplicate layer, method you choose (fix) your blue/ red /gold tones at the start and then only paint the masks.
If you used adjustment layers, after doing the masks you still have the oportunity to easily open up the adjustments and do some overall tone changes.

The downside is that the layers are now cumulative, but in this case a little tweaking won't harm anything.

That's the way I see it, if I'm wrong please tell me.

Roland
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki

M_Hnatiuk - Using adjusment layers is a good way to cut down on file size, and the results look the same, but I don't see how it's easier to go back and make changes, as the mask is where the changes are made.
I was referring to restoration changes rather than colorizing changes. I most always overlook something first time around
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2004, 11:46 AM

First, I have to agree, that was a fabulous restoration. WOW!

As to figuring out the colors, perhaps, my black & white film experience will lend a clue. It appears to me that the original was shot using a dark red filter. This was often done to clear up any acne blemishes on young women especially. Assuming this was the case, then the very light colored dress would have been pink. The medium dresses probably were more of the bluish colors, and the dark would have been most likely the greens. If there was a yellow, then it would be between the lightest colored dress and the middle toned dresses.

Richard Hanlon
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearwolf1
It appears to me that the original was shot using a dark red filter....... Assuming this was the case, then the very light colored dress would have been pink. The medium dresses probably were more of the bluish colors, and the dark would have been most likely the greens. If there was a yellow, then it would be between the lightest colored dress and the middle toned dresses.
Thanks for the valuable input, Richard. That really makes things interesting. This way you seem to have explained how the darkest dress got to be so dark that Vikki and Flora had to "lift the midtones" to be able to put in a pastel color.
I was thinking along the lines of straight luminosity and so to contemplate a dark red filter I'll have to rethink some numbers. (Goody, goody, goody - can't wait to get home!)

Ro
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help