Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photoshop Certification and the NAPP

Old 09-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Question Photoshop Certification and the NAPP

Hello everyone!

I'm just wondering if anyone here is a member of the NAPP or is photoshop certified. I'm trying to weight out the pros and cons of getting certified and becoming a member.

I do already have extensive knowledge of photoshop...but does it help to be certified?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I guess technically this isn't a "help requested" thread...but I couldn't see a more appropriate section sorry if I missed it
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm neither a member, nor certified. But I can't see how either would help you get business. If you're working for a company, however, I could see both helping you get raises, promotions, etc. (although NAPP is really more of a club than a true association).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 07:55 AM

NAPP may be a good place to "join", mostly due to the information you can get there (plus you get the magazine subscription as part of the "joining" fee). There are also some discounts, etc that are available after subscribing. Alot of what you can find on their site can also be found in many places out on the Web though. I like their Photoshop User magazine as well.

As to the certification, I guess I disagree with Doug, although I suppose how you apply your certification will be the determining factor. You can become certified, and then continue on using that to become a Certified Trainer, which COULD lead to a training and/or teaching job/position that may not have been available to you without the certification. But like any Certifications, just because you pass that doesn't mean you're automatically an expert, many Certifications (Microsoft, etc) just mean you can pass their Book tests, which, in many instances, don't match up well to "real world" experience.

Good luck either way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
I recently joined NAPP and have been very pleased with what the organization offers. I especially like the website and the magazine. They are both good resources in my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 07:48 AM

I've been a NAPP member for about 2 1/2 years and use it as a regular resource for growing in photoshop. I work in an in house design group scanning/retouching/color correcting photos and doing prepress. I find there are a range of topics on the NAPP website from creative/design from scratch photoshop right down to the latest ways to use photoshop more effectively and faster.
You do get a subscription to photoshop user magazine which is never a dissapointment and full of tutorials, reviews, advice etc. There was even an article about becoming photoshop certified in the Sept 2004 issue. Get your hands on that copy.

Occasionally they send you tutorial DVD's which have some pretty good tricks in them.

To make a long story short, I think it is the only membership that exposes its members to many different "top of the line" photoshop professionals. I would try it for at least one year and go from there. It definately will benefit you more than not.

As far as becoming adobe certified, it is very true that the certification will not make you much better at applying photoshop to artistic or photography based work (or retouching). You will just pretty much know how to use everything and know the softwares features, tools, and options quite elaborately. Now....knowing all those things will create more opportunity to find ways to do your work better, that's for sure...but I wouldn't expect to become a photoshop god from becoming certified alone. Kind of like you can't drive like a race car driver just by passing your drivers test. It takes alot more than that.

Personally, I am going to become certified. It is a respected credential issued by adobe, and I know I will be pushed to learn some things about photoshop I normally wouldn't go out and learn. I think people will trust my skills more if I can quote that I am adobe certified.

Anyways, that was very long winded....but I just was in the middle of deciding some of the same things we're talking about and thought it might help.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 09:27 AM
I've been a member of NAPP for over 2 years now and I have never regretted my membership.

As for the ACE I have been working slowly on preparing to take that very test If you are freelance or not, I personally believe certifications like that can help bring you business.

They show that you have taken the time to prove your knowledge in a way that people can gauge what you know.

Plus in my plans, it is step one of working my way towards becoming a certified instructor possibly

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 10:59 AM
I worked for a woman who had lots of fancy letters behind her name because she was certified by the PPA. She seemed to have Doug's take on its usefulness for her business, but I was impressed with the spiffy bronze plaque up on the wall. It was like she was a lawyer or doctor with her name and fancy letters behind it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Re: Photoshop Certification and the NAPP

Just my two cents,

I am Photoshop ACE certified and I don't know that it has brought me more business but it is something nice to put on your resume.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM

I have been a member of NAPP for just a little less than a year. Their web site and magazine is excellent. Some vendors offer discounts to NAPP members. I really enjoy the site as they have something for all Photoshop skill levels. I am sure that working with a certain level of client or in certain job environments, having certification would be an advantage. Certification would establish a level of competency from which a person could then make a selection.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 AM

I too am a member of NAPP. Don't know that I'll ever go for certification, but I do enjoy the member benefits.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help