RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

looking into a mirror of the future

Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 PM

looking into a mirror of the future

People like too remark about similarities between family members. With this in mind l have made a quirky image using a photo of my Sister and Mother. Using my sister Jans image as a base, my Mothers face was blended onto it. Looking at the amalgamated photo makes me wonder if my sister Jan might come to grow into that visage. ..... I thought it would be interesting to have the younger woman looking into a mirror and seeing the reflection of the older woman there... How could l do this. I guess the profile l have with these images is not efficacious to the project. Would like to know what others think of the idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2004, 08:48 PM

Mother and Daughter. Its like looking into a mirror

These are the two original images. One of Mother and her Daughter. The images are both poor in quality and have been reworked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2004, 09:05 PM

have included the wrong image

Sorry l have clicked and uploaded the wrong image of my sister. this is the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2004, 12:06 AM

The idea certainly has merit. Looking at the two individual photos, I cannot help but think there is an important link missing..the father. Also, based on the gracious picture of the mother, I find the composite hair style perhaps not quite right. Otherwise, certainly a nice blend.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 PM

Dad's not missing just missed

Thanks Duv, My dad was planted a few years back. . We all miss him. Especially Mum. I guess l could have cloned him sitting with Mother but somehow that would make my Mother look even more lonely. ..Yes you're right the hair does not match her new face. ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2004, 06:05 PM

What I was actually thinking was incorporating the facial traits of the father into the composite if you had a suitable picture to use.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 03:16 AM

Hi Tell, have had a play with the picture of the mother, hope you don't mind. I thought her hair was a bit harsh, so I softened the outline, and then cut and pasted her to a new background and body to give a more 3/4 shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mother 2.jpg (88.4 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 04:26 AM

Wow. Thats great Gary. Very impressed. Mum's hair was poorly selected in the original photo. Like the shadow, adds to the authenticity. Would you mind sharing your steps in creating the shadow?. Love the background too. Appreciate your input. .. Tell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 AM

Hi Tell, the shadow is really easy. The figure of your mother was on one layer, the background on another. I simply duplicated the mother layer, coloured her with black using paint bucket tool. Then applied Gaussian Blur set to a radius of about 7 pix. I then reduced the opacity of this layer to about 35%. Lastly I deformed the shadow using Free transform. The shadow layer is between the mother layer and the background. Hope this is clear.

I'm also posting an image of your mother, similar to your original, where I've just changed the hair. For some reason, the original image I posted got degraded in the process, hopefully this will show the hair better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mother.jpg (76.0 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 08:11 PM

Gary, thanks for giving me an insight into your work on Mum

I am eager to try out the shadow. i notice Mum blends into the background better. I think you have made her image smaller? Her skin tone has also changed. She has lost the red blemishes. These corrections of yours have given back an honest and life like look to the woman..Thanks Gary. Thank you to everybody involved in this Retouch Pro forum.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help