RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

b/w to color help

Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 AM

b/w to color help

First off I want to say that this is a very good website, and you are all very helpful. I have this black and white photo of my dad from the 40's and he wants me to try coloring this in for him, but I've never tried to color a photograph yet. Does anyone want to take a stab at it and explain to me what they did?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorphoto copy.jpg (64.1 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 09:46 AM

Welcome to RetouchPRO.

These tutorials should get you going and you won't have to wait for someone to explain the steps. No time like the present to dive in and start learning.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=32
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161018
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161015
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/2499-colorize-masks.html

Beware that learning to colorize, like any new skills, will take time and practice to learn. Be patient with yourself.

Good luck on your project.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-21-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 04:24 PM

For some reason, Danny and others always tend to leave out my tutorial I have here on colorization, too. I feel so rejected (sob) hehe. While my tutorial is more specific to Corel's Photopaint, all the tools can be translated to Photoshop with ease... just remember that what Corel calls a "clipmask", Adobe calls a "layer mask" and you'll be fine.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=43
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 08:09 PM

Very good tutorial, but discouraging title (for Photoshop users)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
For some reason, Danny and others always tend to leave out my tutorial I have here on colorization, too. I feel so rejected (sob) hehe. While my tutorial is more specific to Corel's Photopaint, all the tools can be translated to Photoshop with ease... just remember that what Corel calls a "clipmask", Adobe calls a "layer mask" and you'll be fine.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=43
Hunter:

Quite honestly I never considered including a link because (a) I assumed the question was from a Photoshop perspective and (b) there was nothing in your tutorial's title indicating Photoshop applicability.

I would suggest the following minor changes to attract more eyes to your well crafted tutorial and reduce the likelihood of it being overlooked:

1) Change the title of the tutorial from

Colorization with PhotoPaint's Clip Mask

to something like

Colorization with PhotoPaint (and Photoshop, too!)

Doing so would make it apparent the content applies to both programs.

2) Include the verbiage describing the functional equivalence of Clipmasks and Layer Masks somewhere in the introductory paragraphs.

It's the advertising (title) that prevents those to whom it might apply (PS users) from looking at it. The content is very well done.

HTH...
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2004, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Hunter:
Quite honestly I never considered including a link because (a) I assumed the question was from a Photoshop perspective and (b) there was nothing in your tutorial's title indicating Photoshop applicability.
Yet there was nothing in the question to indicate he was asking from a Photoshop perspective, either, Danny. See, this is exactly what I've commented to you on in the past - this blatant disregard for anyone that is not using Photoshop.

Last time I checked, the site was *Retouch*Pro, not *Photoshop*Pro which implies that any other pro-level editing apps should be welcomed. Yet, you say I should have to edit my tutorial(s) that aren't Photoshop-based to include Photoshop info to be mentioned by you and other moderators. To be fair, then shouldn't all of the Photoshop-based tutorials be edited to include info for Photopaint, GIMP, and PaintShopPro users, too? If one person should have to do it, everyone should have to do it.

If I as a non-photoshop user can go through a photoshop tutorial (or GIMP or PSP) and translate to Photopaint, then a Photoshop user should be able to look at a GIMP, PSP, or Photopaint tutorial and translate to Photoshop just as easily... those instances where there is something that just doesn't translate (and there will be times that this happens), just ask the author to clarify.

Sorry to vent here, but as I've mentioned before, I'm seeing more and more backhanded slams like this against anything that isn't Photoshop. Just because you may not like these other programs (or their parent companies) does not mean that they are not capable programs. Two years ago, this community was much more open in its acceptance of other apps not Adobe. I wonder what has caused this shift.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2004, 10:59 AM

ALL photo editing apps are welcome here, in my experience.
I would think about 99% of the people here, and probably close to the same percentage worldwide use Photoshop. Therefore, it's a natural assumption that questions asked, unless specifically noted, would concern PS.
Also many, many people don't know that tuts from one program CAN be translated to another.
I didn't. So if I saw your tut from Photopaint, I wouldn't bother to look at it. It's ignorance;on my part, anyway; NOT a 'backhanded slam'.
I have Painter 8. Very little info here about it. My lip is not stuck out.

kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2004, 04:34 PM

Hi everybody,

jojomb,

Welcome to RP!

I tried colorizing your picture... (I'm not very good at colorizing!! )

I used this method which is not the easiest one, but once you get the hang of it you can get excellent results ....

Hunter,

I feel a bit guilty because I've never mentioned (and have to admit ...before today just very briefly looked at ...) your great colorizing Tutorial ....
But, believe me, it wasn't certainly for "blatant disregard for anyone that is not using Photoshop" nor intended as "backhanded slams against anything that isn't Photoshop"
It's only because I don't know and, besides Photo DeLuxe at the very beginning, I've never used any photo elaborating program other than Photoshop .... So, when I get to tips or tutorials written for other software, being very lazy, I just glance at them knowing I'll never go through the trouble to 'translate' it to Photoshop.... My loss and mistake!!

I will, in future include your tutorial in my links not only for what has been said here, but because it is an excellent Colorizing Tutorial!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_colorphoto-copy.jpg (99.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Flora; 10-19-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 12:18 AM

Talking big thanks

awesome, totally awesome, many thanks fot the links and the advice, this page is way better then my crappy photoshop7 textbook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help