RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Size and quality for Attached Images!!

Old 10-21-2004, 03:32 PM

Exclamation Size and quality for Attached Images!!

Please, help us to help you!!!!

*** It's practically impossible to work on attached images which are only slightly bigger than postage-stamps .... so, please, read the following very carefully ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniesa
Many people seem to have questions on how to resize images under the 100KB(*) limit needed to upload images to RetouchPRO. I wrote this a few days ago and since more questions are popping up, I thought I’d post it for everyone.
(*)The attachments' size limit for RP Threads or Posts is 100KB ... (200KB for the gallery).

As a thumb rule, the biggest size and best quality, I think, can be achieved still remaining in the 100KB limit, is JPG format, 800x600 pixels at about 60% quality setting ...

If you are working with Photoshop 7 or higher, one way of doing it is the 'File > Save for Web' Option:
  • Open your Image in PS, go to Image > Image Size, make sure that the 'Constrain Proportion' box is checked, and, as a starting point, type 800 as the higher pixels value depending on the format of your picture. (Image 1)

• Go to the File > Save for Web option. (Image 2)
From the Options on the right side of the 'Save for Web' window choose:
  • JPEG as Preset and check the Optimized Box. (Image 3)

• Click on the small arrow on the right of the 'Preset' window and, from the cascading Menu, choose 'Optimize to File Size'. (Image 4)

• Type 100 in the 'Desired File Size' Box ... (Image 5) ... and let Photoshop do the work for you!

If necessary, tweak the 800X600 size or, if nothing works, the problem-area can be cropped to fit the size ....

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimize0.jpg (96.1 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg Optimize1.jpg (81.1 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Optimize2.jpg (34.0 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Optimize3.jpg (69.6 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg Optimize4.jpg (61.3 KB, 414 views)

Last edited by Flora; 03-11-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
As a thumb rule, the biggest size and best quality, I think, can be achieved still remaining in the 100KB limit, is JPG format, 800x600 pixels at about 60% quality setting ...
For those posting to the "art" threads , where brush strokes and textures play a large role in the final image, the jpeg qualities will usually be a lot lower - I, myself, have sent in some attachments crushed down to below 10%.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2004, 03:55 PM

Hi Roland,

....After seeing all the details I've worked on for hours disappearing, cruelly crushed below 10% .... I would cry rivers as well!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Pic Sizing

I Did Every Step. I Really Am Not Confused By Any Of It. Could It Be The Way I Scanned The Photo. When I Do It Step By Step It Makes The Photo 158k. Now The Picture I Have Posted Is Not From This. It Is One I Resized On My Own Thourgh Resizing In Photoshop. I Just Do Not Undersand Why It Is Not Working For Me. Maybe I Willt Ry Another Photograph And See If It Does The Same Thing. Until Then, I Just Want To Thank All Who Has Tried To Help Me. I Really Need Help On This Photograph, So When I Get Back Home Toningt I Am Goin To Do What I Have To Do To Get One Posted. Thanks Again Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Question

CS2 has changed the save for web feature and I have no idea how to get an image to 100k now. I suppose I could open it and deal with it in CS but that seem counter productive.

I'm trying to get there from a 16 bit that is 56 meg unflattened and about 26M flattened. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2005, 11:29 AM

I explained it for cs2 in this post.
As far as I can see, it's the same as Flora's, except the resize is in the Save For Web window and affects only the output jpeg.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 10:16 AM

thank you very much for that tips...
i have a question.. why should we make it 100k
what is the benifits from it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 01:25 PM

KCorner,

the 100k size is to conserve server space. it's not unlimited, ya know. it's also easier on those still using 56k modems.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2005, 09:59 AM

Can't find help for .zip files

Made a search for zip files size and could not find anything dealing with that specific subject.

My query is this. I have noticed in one of the zillion of posts I visit every day here at RP that it is possible to attach a .zip file. What I can't find is whether the 100kb limitation also applies to that type of files.

I have made a set of brushes that want to share for all interested in RP but don't know how to make them available. The .zip file is 3+ mb is that possible to post ?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2005, 06:23 PM

I think it would be safe to say that the 100kb file size limit applies to all files - irrelevant of format.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help