RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Price Quote Needed

Old 11-04-2004, 12:07 PM

Price Quote Needed

Hi, everyone!

A friend of mine brought this picture for co-worker... I want to know how much you would charge.

ASSIGNMENT:

1. Color correction
2. Restoration

3. Remove two people on the left and leave newlyweds alone positioning them in the center.

Shee needs 2 pictures 8x10

The woman does not want to spend much......

Thank you so much.

Also how would you aproach this task as far as removing and repositioning the couple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original Scan SAMPLE.jpg (99.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Balky; 11-05-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 03:15 PM

With the prints I would charge 70-90 dollars for the job. Mainly due to the removal of the people.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 06:06 PM

This kind of looks like a proof print, is it? Has anyone tried to contact the photographer who took it and see if permission was granted to work on it? I do not want to cast any aspersions, but many customers who "do not want to spend much" think they can save money by having the photo copied rather than just buying a copy of the orginal.

Besides there just might be a photo of the bride and groom alone (cannot think of too many photographers who would not produce such an image at a wedding) and she could get that without having to do all the work to pull them out of this one.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 09:44 PM

Dear Mike:

The word SAMPLE was put by me to make sure that this picture does not go farther than this posting.

As to contacting a photographer, it has been taked an a different country 18 years ago.

I would really like to know the answer to my original question......

I can't believe that out of 50 people that saw this posting, only two actually answered, and ONLY ONE reply was adequate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 10:18 PM

I think the hesitation might be - why give price quotes? In what context? Everyone here has different overhead - and we all live in different communities with different economies, we even have different reputations of worth and experience to our customers ...

Are you looking for a quote so as to send the job to one of us? Or maybe to see if you are low or high? Or out of curiosity to what the range is and the differnces in how pricing is approached? Are you considering revamping your pricing? You mentioned she doesn't want to spend to - kind of implies you are looking for bids on the project even though you don't say that ...

Sorry, but insisting on a response doesn't automatically mean that a response feels appropriate to each viewer.

That said, the way I approach this is a s follows
Input+artwork+output = final price
-$15 to scan, global color correction is included.
-Art work to remove couple and extend background $50
-Art work to repair damge hidden by color cast, per quote after scanning and global corrections
-2-8x10's = $46
-Or she could buy the digital image sized to 8x10 and print it herself for $25

Regarding "the woman does not want to spend much ..."

That would not change the price - she could choose to have us do less art work or different output to change the price with us.

I hope that somehow this feedback helps, but it would be nice to know what you are aiming at,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 10:42 PM

It is very simple.

I want to know what is the appropriate amount to charge that woman.

Just want to see if I am overcharging here or not.

What else can it possibly mean?

PS Thanks for your posting
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 10:51 PM

estimate on reworking

I charge 35.00 an hour for contracted work. I figure that job would take me an hour to an hour and 1/2. Then burn a CD with the image for 5.00 and call it a morning....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 PM

As far as the copyright goes, 18 years and a different country does not mean that it is not copyrighted, however it most likely does reduce your chances of getting caught breaking that law.

As for the pricing, we set our prices according to our business plan, which is in good part set to the local economy. I would imagine that my little town of 10K has a local economy that is quite a bit different than NYC and there for would the answer to your question really mean anything?

As noted by roger_ele, the fact that she does not want to spend much means nothing as to the final price of the job. Maybe we should start asking each customer if they would like to spend just a little or would they mind spending a lot? Maybe if I could work something in about the baby needing new shoes or something, have to mull that over for awhile......

So if you still want a $ amount, with out knowing just what hides under that faded color, I would estimate at $150 to $200 for the job.

My question to you is, if you are doing this full time, can you make it there charging a small amount like that? Or do you have another source of income?

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2004, 01:35 AM

Please tell me how and why did we start talking about COPYRIGHT?

Did I mention that word anywhere; because I put the word SAMPLE in that pic? The woman has had this picture for years and finally decided to fix it - end of story. My roommate brought the pic home, I gave him my price quote, and he said I am being obnoxious...... I don't think 100 bucks = obnoxious. Honestly, I would charge more than that, but because she is his friend and he asked to cut her some slack, I was going to do it for 100. But guess what, it is not good enough. In the end my price is outrageous. Because I am not working now and this is once-in-a-blue-moon gig, I am supposed to do it for a song? I don't think so! I am not renting my eyes to abuse them!

So, there! Now you all know the whole damn story why I am asking you for a price quote.

Sorry if I sound a bit pissed....... it is just very frustrating. In order to get a simple answer to a question HOW MUCH? I get all kinds of things going on here.

And NO, Retouching is not going to even begin to cover you expenses in NYC even if you charge 3 times of what you charge your customers. I am doing this for fun but even then I do not want to harm my eyes for some charity change.

Need I mention that this labor, as pleasing as it can be, is really hard on your eyes.

Anyway, thanks for your response :o)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2004, 12:38 PM

Thumbs down can you have it scanned to a CD?

It would be quite simple to remore the extra people and to center the couple. The price from cd to cd without print(you have prints made) should not be over $80.00. undefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky
Hi, everyone!

A friend of mine brought this picture for co-worker... I want to know how much you would charge.

ASSIGNMENT:

1. Color correction
2. Restoration

3. Remove two people on the left and leave newlyweds alone positioning them in the center.

Shee needs 2 pictures 8x10

The woman does not want to spend much......

Thank you so much.

Also how would you aproach this task as far as removing and repositioning the couple.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help