RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Airbrush where do I start

Old 11-04-2004, 03:08 PM

Airbrush where do I start

I would like to learn how to airbrush, where do I start?
Is it a hard technique to master, any advice would be welcome

Thanks Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckitout
I would like to learn how to airbrush, where do I start?
Is it a hard technique to master, any advice would be welcome

Thanks Phil
Hi Phil...

Welcome to RetouchPRO. Your question is a little vague, so help me out.

Airbrush as in create original art (there is a photo-art forum here) or airbrush as in glamourizing photos? If the latter, there are a number of glamourizing techniques some of which use the airbrush tool.

What program are you using?

What type of work do you visualize doing?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 05:46 AM

Welcome to RetouchPRO. Your question is a little vague, so help me out.

Airbrush as in create original art (there is a photo-art forum here) or airbrush as in glamourizing photos? If the latter, there are a number of glamourizing techniques some of which use the airbrush tool.

What program are you using?

What type of work do you visualize doing?

Thanks for the reply Danny
I am looking to airbrush as in glamourizing photos. I am using PS6 soon to be 7 hopefully. I saw in the challenges section a picture foe a book cover which looked fantastic and I would like to attempt to create the almost unreal look that can be achieved by airbrushing. The type of pictures will be mainly portrait and glamour.

Thanks Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 01:43 PM

Where to start with airbrush

Phil...

I found that the best way to learn computer airbrushing was to try to learn physical airbrushing. Check out the active forum for airbrush at WetCanvas .

Many talented airbrushers there. Check out the work of AD Cook and Paul Corfeld for glamour art. Do a search for WIP [works in progress] to see how a physical airbrush project is organized. All of this can be translated to the computer.

To be successful at airbrush on the computer almost demands a tablet. Trying to control the brush with the mouse is very humbling.

...Kent
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckitout
Thanks for the reply Danny

I am looking to airbrush as in glamourizing photos. I am using PS6 soon to be 7 hopefully. I saw in the challenges section a picture foe a book cover which looked fantastic and I would like to attempt to create the almost unreal look that can be achieved by airbrushing. The type of pictures will be mainly portrait and glamour.

Thanks

Phil
Phil:

Without a link I can't see the image to which you are referring, so take the following with a grain of salt. Do checkout WetCanvas like Kent suggested. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding where you want to go.

I can tell you the airbrush function changes (for the better) in PS7, but the following applies in general.

Airbrushing (as I understand it) was a technique used to alter (physical) prints (by doing thing like disguising wrinkles or enhancing other body parts) before digital imaging methods became the norm. Photoshop's airbrush tool has its place among many other ways to soften or digitally alter skin to achieve a glamour look. As such I would caution you to not get too focused on "learning to airbrush" if in the big scheme of things you want to learn glamourizing techniques in general.

Besides the wealth of information here at RetouchPRO, there are just bunches and bunches of tutorials and articles on the Internet that cover the various methods of achieving a glamour look.

Use search arguments such as the following with Google.com:

photoshop makeover

photoshop skin retouching

photoshop glamor
or glamour

photoshop retouching

- - - - - - -

Regarding your question about the degree of difficulty in learning these techniques, that's a tough one to answer. It just depends on your current Photoshop skill set, how much time you have to practice, how quickly you learn, etc.

You've already got a very capable version of Photoshop. You know how to use the Internet and post questions. All of these give you a huge advantage over most people.

If you've got the desire and determination, with the abundance of information available there's no reason you should not reach your goals.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 10:28 AM

A terrific tutorial on airbrushing.

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161007

PSP or Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help