Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photoshop CS - Use of the patch tool.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Photoshop CS - Use of the patch tool.

As a newbie to the world of retouching I have been experimenting with Photoshop on a few of my own pictures.

I have amazed myself at how powerful the patching tool within PS is and objects within my photos now disappear with ease - well almost !.

The problem I have is that sometimes when using the patch tool the patched area is heavily influenced by the surrounding area. This is most marked at areas of the photo where there is a significant colour boundary.

I've not really explained this very well have I ?. Once I am back home I'll try to upload an image or two to illustrate this.

Great forum - I'm going to learn a lot here !.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2004, 11:16 AM
help with problem

The problem you are having is inherent to both the patch and the healing tools. In fact, it isn't a problem at all. That is what makes the new "selection" blend so well into its new surroundings.

This tutorial by Russell Brown addresses the use of the patch tool in the specific manner you are asking about. The title of the tutorial is Disappearing Surfer.

Welcome to Retouch Pro.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Nice link. I learn something new today. In the past I just used the clone tool when the clone area was near an object and needed to maintain a hard edge and the patch tool for the softer areas. I never knew you could do hard edges and soft edges in one selection.

Thanks Janet!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks for the link Janet. I've used Russell's quicktime movies before, and I think he explains things very well. And you might even get a laugh or two!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help